Dave's OP21 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Dave's OP21 Project

Post by dewers »

After reading the plans every night for the last two weeks, I am ready to start. I went and bought a load of the Meranti 6566 today. Tomorrow afternoon I will start laying the parts and maybe Saturday actually do some cutting.

When I get to the actual build process I will start posting some pictures.

Now for the first question of millions to come.

When I am gluing up the transom along with the clamping board, can I use a series of bolts put through all of the pieces to help keep them aligned?

Thanks

Dave

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Much better is to use wooden dowels 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

Thanks for the idea. That will make much easier after its all cured up

Dave

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

That sounds pretty elegant. I just gooped some butter on both sides, set one on top of the other, and used the SHS clamp (some heavy stuff). But there are many paths. BTW, I'll be in Santa Fe this summer for a few days, where you be? The OP 21 is a fine looking thing. . . does your wife know how good looking she is?

Don't do like old Dougster

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

I will be most likely at the shop (computer store) or at home, but I can make myself available for a fellow boater.

What days are you going to be there and where in Texas are you coming from? There is a reason why I ask.

The wife is a thing of the past I hate to say. Now I am a single guy again.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Don't like posting travel plans on the net. Hit me with an email and I'll respond (can't see one on your profile and PM doesn't work). BTW, where you gonna float that big old boat up there?

I'll be staying with old friends Dougster

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

Sent you an email with my info, hopefully it went through.

I plan on floating this bad boy in The Redondo Beach area of California and in Port O'Connor area of Texas.

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Dave,
She is really taking shape. Keep up the good work. I have enjoyed the photos on the blog that you are keeping.

Keep on Buildin'

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

:help:

Layed out the transom today that went real well without any problems. I started to lay out station F and I ran into a real big problem. When I was reading the palns from sheet D250/4 I realized there was something I could not figure out.

The length of my plywood 2442 mm and the plans call for the outside of station F to be at 1233 from the centerline . On the nesting plans it does show staion F to be larger than the sheet of plywood. Is there an error on the plans or I am missing something simple? :help: :help:

Thanks

Dave

About the FL12. I am trying to my FL12 back from my ex. It is still unfinished and just sitting there
Last edited by dewers on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Shaping up...

Hardwood Dowels are very handy. You don't need many at all. Just use them in key positions. Three in the transom (two at the upper ends, one at the bottom where you will drill out the drain plug). The same two at the top can also hold the clamping board if it is full length, else maybe two more to hold that. Completely stops the sliding around, and you don't need to go back and fill screw holes later. 1/4 inch dowels do the job, as they don't really hold anything together, but only keep it aligned while curing. Keeping things aligned is a good thing. 8)

Dowels make multiple layer laminates easy in one bonding session... after lots of crazed mixing...

Build well!

:)