Guam HMD18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Guam HMD18

Post by chicagoross »

After several months of delays and agonizing over the choice of plans and availability of supplies, I finally got off my butt and started cutting wood today for an HMD18. The strongback is built and I started cutting hull panels today, as the strongback will be the only flat area available for splicing hull panels need to get them done first. Feels great to finally be decided, committed, and building! All my boat building tools are in the Philippines (220 Volts) so am using my old home repair tools to start with that I shipped from California to Guam. They all seem to be Black and decker, not Makita and Bosch. Use 'em til they die. The Jigsaw's keeping my hand nice and warm. Think I need to start dropping hints for Santa...

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

There go my hopes of seeing another LB22!

Good luck!

E

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine »

nm
Last edited by D2Maine on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Almost done with the hull panels, then on to cutting frames. Spok, it was a tough call with multiple pros & cons on each boat, but my supply of 1/4" marine ply dried up, the area for my strongback is only 20' long, and the relative simplicity of the HMD hull (no stringers, it's like building an oversized D4) were strong factors. It's not my ultimate dream boat (which may be the 21' version that Evan is working on) but gotta build, gotta build, after several wasted months worrying about the perfect plan. This boat will tell me what it's like building full size in S&G, satisfy family needs for a while, and tell me if I can live with a displacement hull as primary boat (everyone should have a few different kinds of boats, right?)
D2, I e-mailed Yoda but so far no answer, hope he's OK. Doug N., the other HMD builder, hasn't been heard from in a while either. If you guys are out therre, we'd love to hear from you!

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Im excited to see how it performs for you.

Photos!

E

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Then we can do the 21' cruiser together. :) Or will you be going to something bigger? You and I will both need a bigger workshop. I just hope by the time I finish this that I'll be able to do straight, smooth seams like I see on your Nina.

stevesmith81
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by stevesmith81 »

Glad to hear you have started and am looking forward to pictures. I have a set of metric HMD18 plans, I was going to stretch it by 8.5% which gave me a a 20 foot long by 8.5 foot wide boat.

Once Evan committed to a 22 footer I decided to wait and see what he comes up with.

From what you have already completed it sounds like you are making great progress. Any estimate on when you think you will be done?
Steve Smith

FB11,

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I bought metric with plans to stretch lengthwise only, didn't really want it any bigger. Plywood cost is not an issue ( only have good Lauan exterior available, not to bad pricewise here in Guam) so some of the nesting will go out the window for easier layout and drawing. Same size trailer (18-20') and same motor. Stretching it lengthwise causes a few problems with panels (transom, motorwell parts, windshields etc.) which are not exactly laid out lengthwise on the plans. So I'm not scaling it at all, decided to build the first larger Bateau boat to plan for simplicity. That said, I'm more or less thinking of this as a large practice boat before building a larger cruiser, either Evan's new plan or Fisher's 22' Rufus. Or a version of Jog-Along if someone will develop something along those lines. About 22' is my max length for storage where I'm at now.

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

I should say most likely Evan's new plan, as after reading many sets of boat plans I really appreciate the completeness of the plans here as opposed to most designers plans, which are pretty much hull only - maybe frames for cabin roofs are sketched but not detailed, leaving you to figure out bunks, furniture, bulkheads etc. Anyhow, wanted to build a real boat by this method, HMD18 seems very simple and will fill a current need for economical cruising and trolling. After which I can sell my plastic bathtub for big bucks and fund the next, larger boat. There will not be compulsive fairing on this boat, it will be workboat finish, and I can often work on it about 4 hours a day, so should be fairly quick. Or relatively quick. In building the D4 I find that I am about 1/2 as fast as an "average person". :doh: And that's workboat finish and all. :lol: