BassMunn's PH16 - SPLASHED!!!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BassMunn

BassMunn's PH16 - SPLASHED!!!!

Post by BassMunn »

Hi Everyone

I've posted a few questions in the power boat forums, but I suppose it's time to start my own build thread. Partly to let others see what I'm doing and mostly because I'll be needing a lot of :help:

I got my plans 2 weeks ago and by day 3 had all my marine ply (BS 1088) and epoxy resin, biax tape and cloth and filler.
Jumped straight into drawing the plans out. I don't have a nice big flat table to draw on so I had to draw on the floor. Well after 3 days of drawing my knees started screaming as soon as they saw ply wood sheets :lol:

Cut most of my parts out using a circular saw, only used a jigsaw for small cuts as me, a jigsaw and straight lines are not friends.

On Saturday I turned my lounge floor into a butt block laminating area as it's the only area bigger enough with a flat floor to handle the big sheets (My wife was very impressed)

Yesterday I built a basic jig on wheels with the intention of building the normal stich and glue way (hull right way up). Once I was finished it was time to start stiching the bottom panels.
After 2 hours of fighting with the panels, trying to get them to bend and still keep the gaps between them I finally got them together.
And then I looked at the aft section of the bottom :(

I haven't got a clue how some of the guys manage to build such nice boats using this method :doh:

So after an hour of sulking and head scratching I cut all the tie wraps out and went to bed.

This afternoon I redesigned my jig into a not so simple jig and will be building the boat using the traditional jig method (hull upside down).
Transom is mounted (and yes it's at the right angle), I quickly test fitted all the bulkheads and it looks right this time.

Tomorrow I'll fit all the bulkheads and stringers, make sure everything lines up properly and then start fitting the panels.

I'll start posting some pics tomorrow once I have a few that are interesting

There's a boat somewhere in that pile of ply wood.
Shannon
Last edited by BassMunn on Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I didn't know the PH16 was built right side up. My LB22 is built upside down, and yeah, getting the panels to take the curves was a major trial for me. It took a lot of patience and several weeks. All I can advise is make sure the stations are just right: spacing, parallel, perpendicular; I mean right on. Then take your time coaxing the panels. Beware screws and tight zip ties. Fool with it and then walk away and think. When it's right, sleep on it and look at it fresh with a critical eye. I wish I could have dragged mine out of the shop to see it at a good enough distance to get perspective. Your eye is good and will see even small asymmetries. I'm glad to see you've started a thread. Post some pics soon.

Remembers fighting those dang panels Dougster

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Hi Dougster

The PH16 plans give you both building options, I thought that would be the easier quicker way - NOT

Thanks for the advice, my father always used to tell me to sleep on it and until recently I never really listened, but a project of this size definately teaches you to do this sort of thing and I'm sure I will have many of these nights :?

My building space is very limited, I only have a single garage, so I put up a temp carport in front of the garage and built my jig on wheels so that I can move it in and out of the garage. It's going to take me a little while each time to level it, but I need the working space.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I can

Shannon

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross »

Like Dougster said - no hurry on the panels! I stitched them all on loosely (1 1/2" gaps all around) and left them like that overnight. I think it gives the panels a little time to adjust to their new shapes. Then the next day, go around the boat tightening a little at a time - 1/4" or so. Maybe this is being obsessive, but before when I tightened too much I ended up having to cut and re-do ties; done the 1/4" at a time, for me at least, everyting lined up perfectly when we finally got down to almost no gaps! Have fun, that's my favorite part of the project, seeing the hull shape for the first time!

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Chicagoross I think that was my problem the first time, I made my gaps too tight to start with, by the time I got to the bow the two panels were locking together so badly I couldn't wedge anything between them.
I'll use your method of just a little at a time, thanks

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

OK let's see if I can get this picture thing right :doh:

First one of the large panels lying in my lounge waiting for the butt blocks to dry

Bulkheads fitted to the building jig

Stringers test fitted

Another angle

For people that have built this boat you might notice that my butt blocks for the inner stringer do not coincide with the bulkhead. I would like to say that I planned it that way, but it was actually a plan reading mistake :oops: luckily I picked it up before I cut the second part of the stringers so just had to adjust the size of the second part. I quite liked the idea that it meant that I didn't have to re-cut my stringer slots in that bulkhead :D

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

8O 8O

My wife would kill me :help:

Looks great! Hope you live to see it finished :wink:

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

The stringers and bulkheads all fitted together really nicely (I actually got it straight 8O ), just a little bit of sanding to take out one or two little cutting errors and the fit will be perfect.

BUT, I couldn't resist the temptation to lay the hull panels on the jig just to see how it looks and that was when I noticed that I made a really stupid mistake :oops: When I glued the hull parts together I rather ingeniously glued the rear section of the hull sides on upside down ](*,)
Luckily it is a small section so I will have to recut the section and redo the butt block

jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

Haha, you're a brave man, epoxying on a finished floor...

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Cracker Larry wrote:8O 8O

My wife would kill me :help:

Looks great! Hope you live to see it finished :wink:
:D :D When she got home she figured out why I had said to her "Sure honey go shopping and visit your parents for a while too". On top of that I made her help me carry them out :lol:

But I made sure there wasn't a drop of epoxy on that floor or my power tools might have disappeared