SD11...hopefully!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
flatpicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SD11...hopefully!

Post by flatpicker »

Well after making many mistakes with this build, I decided to go ahead start my own thread in hopes of cutting down on those mistake. I'll bring you up to speed with pictures later, but for now let me tell you where I am. After splicing the side panels without a problem, I cut ALL of the frames. Took measurements from the panels and not from the plans. I know, dumbarse! Had to recut all of them. I got them right the second time. On the building notes, it says to mark frame/seat locations before asssembly, and before cutting the side panels. Did that, and found out that the actual location of the frames should be taken from the full size patterns :oops: :x I was trying my best not to use these patterns, as this was the advice here and on the building notes. So while the frames were screwed, in the wrong place, I squared her up, layed a 3/8 sheet of plywood on the panels, scribed the bottom and cut it. Second sheet of plywood cut wrong :x . So after taking the boat apart 3 or 4 times and aggravating GK108 2 or 3 times, I' finally got the frames in the right place. I then layed the bottom panel in its place and realized I didn't have enough on either side for the entire bottom. So, here's what I did. This might not make any sense until I post the pics so bare with me. I turned the bottom this way and that, and figured the best way to solve this without having to buy another sheet of plywood would be to turn the bottom panel backwards, leaving it flush with the bow at the chine line and splice a piece aft. Or, two pieces aft, then scribe and cut again. I glued the first piece on last night, so we'll see how that goes. Until I ask if all of this will be o.k. I will post the pics.

Even with all of this aggravation, this has been a real pleasure for me. I have very limited experience with building things, but I promise this thing will be boat one day. It might not be the exact boat Jacques has drawn, but it will be mine and my two daughters none the less. :D I was trying to explain to my wife last night how and why this boat building thing becomes addictive, and the only way I could explain it was to say that each time you do something and stand back and look at it, you then realize how you could have done it better and more efficiently. You think to yourself "I'll get it just right next time!" BBV at it best!

Sorry for the long post, I'll try to post progress more frequently. Not to save typing, but to save plywood. :wink:
Ya'll bare with me 8)

Marty

p.s. If you plan on building the SD11, just know that the plans are drawn "the old way". I believe that other plans are much easier for the complete beginner. Also, you will need to take measurements from the full size patterns, so don't ignore them!

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: SD11...hopefully!

Post by gk108 »

No aggravation to me, Marty. I have my carbon failure project for that. :lol:
CC, D15, V10

flatpicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flatpicker »

gk108 wrote:No aggravation to me, Marty. I have my carbon failure project for that. :lol:
Oh yea! :lol:

Here's the pictures.
Construction:

Here's what I'm trying to piece together:
Here's where the original bow end of the bottom panel ends now. Just aft of rear seat frame :doh:

Looking towards the bow

And what I'm adding. At the end of this will be another piece with the butt block under the rear seat.
Is this going to be a structural problem?

I hope I got enough epoxy/wood flour in between the two pieces :?

Or should I just get another piece of plywood. I have a buddy that will be down in FL. this weekend to pick a load of lumber and he said he'd be glad to stop by and pick it up for me. Are they open on Sat?

Thanks
M

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

I'm sure it will be fine. Probably the stongest bit of the boat in the end.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Glass tape (or biax?) over those curved splices wouldn't be a bad idea. :wink:

Its becoming a boat! :)

flatpicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flatpicker »

ks8 wrote:Glass tape (or biax?) over those curved splices wouldn't be a bad idea. :wink:

Its becoming a boat! :)
Good idea. Should I wait and put the glass on after I've scribed and cut the bottom panel to fit?

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Without a glass splice or a butt block, that bond doesn't have much surface area for the forces it can experience while handling the panel(s). Handle it carefully. If there isn't much bend on that area when on the boat, you could glass it after its on the boat, both inside and out. Even though it may change the natural bend slightly, if it were me, I would be more comfortable with a glass splice at least on the *outside* before handling it anymore, and then I'd still handle it carefully and finally glass the inside of it also once on and taped to the boat. As strong as epoxy is though, without glass at all (or a butt block), that big panel moving around can focus a lot of force on that splice as it is now. Have fun, but handle it carefully until it is glass sandwiched, probably best with 6 inch biax tape. :D

Ultimately, if that boat really needs a spec bottom panel because of the loads there, hopefully Jacques will jump in and say so. But he may not scan this forum that often. If you post a question in the technical questions forum, and include a link to this thread, it may get a quicker official response. :)

flatpicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flatpicker »

Started "building the boat building building"(to borrow someone line) last Thurs! Don't really know how long it'll take me, but as soon as we deck the roof I'm moving the sd11 in and I"ll be back at........

Been doing a LOT of pondering over a few beers for about 3 mos. now. Too long..... :oops:

Can't wait!

gk108

Post by gk108 »

That's sort of been my story, can't work on the boat projects until the rest of the building project is done. It'll be damn nice to have a dedicated hard concrete flat space to work on, though. :D
CC, D15, V10

flatpicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flatpicker »

Well, I'm back to boat finally. Shop is done, well almost. Still a little painting to go.

Quick question.

Do I need cleats under the transom knees?

thanks Marty