Yet Another D4 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
nonsly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Yet Another D4 Build

Post by nonsly »

Finally starting to glue up my hull.

I've customized the boat a little bit. I gave it a flared bow transom because I think that looks much better. I extended both the midship frames to the gunnel because I think the boat lacks visual balance when only the forward midship frame is extended. I moved the rear seat bulkhead aft a few inches to create more legroom when rowing. As discussed in an earlier thread, I am going with a D5 style daggerboard case because I think it will give the boat a better balanced helm.

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Yet Another D4 Build

Post by Boater45 »

Very nice!!! :D Keep the pic's coming.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

Capt Bill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Capt Bill »

Love the pictures, keep them coming.

I am going to build the Nutshell N7. My first post was to the "Small Boats" forum. Not sure if maybe I should have been here ???

I was excited to see another small boat under construction.

Are you planning on rowing sailing or both ?

I will modify mine for sail but rowing around the pond will be the first splash.

The nutshell has a flat bottom with a rocker and a V bow. Yours has a V-bottom and a pram bow.

I'm off to buy the plywood next week. Where did you buy yours ? I am thinking to buy at the local lumber yard good both sides ply. The is a place about a 45 min away that has all of the fancy ply like Oklume (sp) etc. Not cheap.

Good Luck

Capt Bill, Bowling Green, Ohio
To learn to swim you must get your feet wet.
Nutshell N7 for oar +sail
Capt Bill, Bowling Green, Ohio

nonsly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nonsly »

Thanks. The boat is being built to row and sail. Except for the bow transom, which is a piece of Meranti I had left over from another project, the hull is Okoume to keep weight down. Yes it was expensive but I plan to use this boat as a deckable tender for a 28' sloop so I need to keep it light. We happen to have an excellent source of marine lumber nearby so the ply was purchased from them.

nonsly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nonsly »

Well, it turns out I am too busy in the spring, summer and fall to build boats. But now that the leaves are raked and the gutters are cleaned I have been able to make some more progress. I finished taping a few remaining seams and then glued in the stern quarter knees. Port:

Starboard:

Built the dagger-board case.

Covered the bottom with Dynel.

Glued on the rub rails.

And glued in the bow quarter knees. Starboard:

Port:

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Nice. Keep 'em coming. And toss us a picture of the mother ship (*28 foot sloop*) too. :)

nonsly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nonsly »

Can't access any closeups right now, but here is a long distance shot of the mothership:

Justin Pipkorn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Justin Pipkorn »

Just a suggestion when you come to make a cover for the daggerboard trunk. In a Pepita dinghy that I built, the cover was made out of 1/4 inch plywood. Every time I sat on seat to row, even that little hump irritated me. So when I buillt the latest Otter/Lissa, I recessed the cover. This picture doesn't show the recess, but the cover for the dagger board cover is recessed below the seat level and the plug top is flush with the seat top. Both the board and the board cover have holes with wine bottle corks that stick out just enough to keep the cover in position...an idea from Joe Dobler.

Here is a picture of the Pepita showing that offending daggerboard cover.

The Pepita was designed to fit on the foredeck of a 27 foot boat similar to what you have planned for the D4.

The Otter daggerboard is a rather neat Jacques Mertan design. The trunk and board are designed so that if the board hits bottom, the board is supposed to kick up.
Justin Pipkorn
Vagabond+ Just Right
http://www.amateurboatbuilding.com/justright/index.htm
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1281
Otter/Lissa
gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1197

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Nice picture of boat and anchorage. Thanks. :)

nonsly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nonsly »

Things are progressing. Got the skeg glued on and covered with Dynel. Currently about 3/4 of the way through fairing the outside of the hull.

Also orderd some boat jewelry: gudgeons, pintles and bow ring, all bronze.