Mark's PH18 in Toronto

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mark's PH18 in Toronto

Post by tobolamr »

Good to hear. I got a little lesson on those bodies of water from my cousin, who married a young lady from Canada! I know my father-in-law took me fishing last fall, late, to our favorite local lake. It's about 850 acres, so not too big, but man... It was waaaay low. Probably the same 5 feet or so. Now, I'm hoping with all the snow and rain we've had that it's filled up again.

I agree with the "don't stress it" approach! Some things in life just aren't worth turning into a disaster. :wink:

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Thanks TB.

Last weekend I got bulkheads/floor frames E and A done, at least for E below the sole. I had some cloth that wasn't going to quite make all the twists to get right over the stringer and, a little that stuck up a little above the top of the frame that I forgot to trim with the knife at half set so out comes the grinder to clean it up.....

I don't know if you can see from the picture but I am quite proud of my staggering of the tape on bulkhead A.... if there is one thing I have learned from all the great builders on this forum and in doing this project, is patience pays off in the form of nice neat layups....

Floorframe/bulkhead E laid up, still needs to be tabbed above the sole level, bulkhead D ready to fillet and layup this weekend:

Bulkhead A tabbed/laid up:

Seats arrived from Llebroc in California today !!
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Those are mighty fine seats!

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

Well, I had the weekend with no helper so I procrastinated in glassing in bulkhead/floorframe D, but I did get it filleted Saturday. Since I was by myself I thought I would do something fun - work on the consoles - they have to be done anyway.... :lol:

First I taught the neighbor kid what kerfing is as we need to get the foam into the mold.

I built the mold/shape to hold the foam, over sized as this will just be the basic shape that will be augmented later. The foam is already applied with some drywall screws - I got the idea from the "ribbald" mold used for a foam hull. Foam is SO easy to work with !!

Once I ran tape across and along i took the drywall screws out and did the inside layup and popped the part, placing it in the sun to cure quicker...

Like I said, I'll add to the sides, likely cut it down some, outside still needs glass but I don't want to waste material until I am at the final shape. At first glance the shape reminds me of Gambler Bass boats - not really the look I am going for, we'll see once I get it fitted and cut down. :doh:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That's pretty sharp 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

I got the floor frames trimmed to fit after adding the third layer of H80, then routered the edges for the glass to lay over.

I tacked them in place with the hot glue gun, ready to fillet.

Filleted and ready for glass

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Looking good... The console looks good, too! I agree, reminds me of a Gambler, or there was a generation of Nitro's that had a cowl like that, too.

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

Those are some good looking seats. I get where the three will for a 'bench' like unit, and I understand the two 'stools', but what is the other full seat for?

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

When fishing with my Brother in Law and most friends they prefer the "full chair" on the rear deck. (folds down when underway) When I am fishing with guys in my club/in a tournament, I have found that most experienced bass fishermen prefer the "bike pole". So I ordered an extra one for the rear so as to provide the option. The larger of the two bike type seats is what I will be using in the front.....

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Yeah, and when I'm not on the bow, I prefer the full seat! LOL I guess I'm still just an amateur. I also have bad arches :oops: so I like the full seat when I'm on the rear deck because then I don't get such sore feet from being on them the whole time.