78 Glastron T160 Sportser

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 78 Glastron T160 Sportser

Post by Auger01 »

The Boat is Done! Here are pictures and a video from this weekend. I have put about 9 hours on the boat since the rebuild. It runs great! With the 16 pitch prop it tops out right at 40. Lighly loaded it WILL slighty go over the redline of 6000. I am thinking that with a 18 to 19 pitch prop might do 45mph.

I would just like to say thanks for all the help I have gotten here. I wouldnt have been do this without it.

Here is a drive by:

http://youtu.be/QgnWQZF33bc

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Well done! 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Congrats on a fine job. :D
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MarkOrge »

That is a beautiful re-build. Nice work. This boat reminds me of the one I learned to ski behind - except where yours is orange ours was a lime green :lol:

Gorgeous - nice mix of original style and new technology !
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

nice job. I was looking back at the "before" pictures and I noticed the Audio turner mounted out side on the transom. 8) Someone got sick of climbing back in the boat to change music :D

AMC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AMC »

Auger01 wrote:With the 16 pitch prop it tops out right at 40. Lighly loaded it WILL slighty go over the redline of 6000. I am thinking that with a 18 to 19 pitch prop might do 45mph.
At least, and it would keep it under the redline, AND should provide better economy.

The boat itself looks good, but that interior is at a different level. All the seats look fantastic. You kept a interesting combination of the original look with some modern takes. I would never have thought to use that blue carpet with the red seats, but I think it really pops. Very creative choices. And the access panel in the back, in place of the old curtain cleaned up the look a great deal.

All you need now is a bow mounted trolling motor on the front, and a pedestal seat and you will ready!

You should be very proud of what you have done.

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

AMC wrote:
Auger01 wrote:With the 16 pitch prop it tops out right at 40. Lighly loaded it WILL slighty go over the redline of 6000. I am thinking that with a 18 to 19 pitch prop might do 45mph.
At least, and it would keep it under the redline, AND should provide better economy.
With four adults, a kid and an ice chest, at WOT I got 5800 RPM, which is just about right. Since I will be pulling kids around on skis and tubes, I think having it propped a bit low is probably a good thing. I may get another higher pitch prop to put on when it is just me and the Mrs. crusisng around.
AMC wrote:The boat itself looks good, but that interior is at a different level. All the seats look fantastic. You kept a interesting combination of the original look with some modern takes. I would never have thought to use that blue carpet with the red seats, but I think it really pops. Very creative choices. And the access panel in the back, in place of the old curtain cleaned up the look a great deal.
Thanks. I really wanted to use an orange carpet, but it just isnt made anymore so we had to go with something different. The navy blue turned out well I think.
AMC wrote:All you need now is a bow mounted trolling motor on the front, and a pedestal seat and you will ready!
Spoil the classic lines of a 70's trihull with a trolling motor?!? Surely you jest. 8)

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

[quote="Auger01"]Got some work done on the old trihull this winter. I believe she is just about ready. All it lacks is some upholstery work and a motor.

I used varnish over epoxy for the arrican teak wood bases:

The front hatch and the instrument panel are also africian teak:

Can you provide how you did the epoxy on bare wood with varnish over?
such as
Number of costs of epoxy
Did you thin epoxy
sand grit between coats
any lessons learned?

Heloman78
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heloman78 »

Wow, that's great! You don't see that everyday!

Auger01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Auger01 »

tcason wrote:
Auger01 wrote:Can you provide how you did the epoxy on bare wood with varnish over?
such as
Number of costs of epoxy
Did you thin epoxy
sand grit between coats
any lessons learned?
I think I did two or three coats of epoxy and three coats of varnish. I used the system three clear coating epoxy. I did not thin it. It was made for this application. I used Pettit Flagship and also thier Captain varnish. I only sanded if I let the epoxy fully cure before the next coat and to correct any imperfections. I sanded the epoxy with 120 grit to prep it for the varnish. To sand between the varnish coats I used 220 or 320 grit paper. I would thin the varnish with exactly 1/2 oz of thinner per 3 oz of varnish.

Lessons learned? I applied the epoxy inside to prevent bubbles in the epoxy. If the tempature was much above 70, it would bubble. The wood HAS to be perfectly clean before the epoxy goes on. If not, every bit of sawdust and trash will be visible in the epoxy. I would wipe it down with acetone, then I would blow it off with air, then I would use a tack cloth. If I was to do it again, I would not use the Captain varnish. I would just use three coats of the Pettit Flagship varnish. The wood I think looked better after the second coat than after the third.

Here is the video of the method I used:

http://boatworkstoday.com/archives/142