OD18 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OD18 Build

Post by Bbolton2 »

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to start a thread for my OD18 build. I have the bottom cut out along with the stringers. Took some advice from some exceptional od18 builders and glued 3/4 ply to make the stringers. I am now trying to get all pieces drawn and cut before I start assembling the hull. I am a total newbie, so I am trying to take it slow to get things right.

First challenge of mine was using a fine tooth or 144 tooth circular saw blade. This blade would bind up in the 3/4 ply and not cut real well. So I switched to a blade that came with my circular saw with a lower tooth count, and it cuts much smoother. I have to say my stringers are not the straightest things but after putting some time with a belt sander I am hoping they will be ok.

I will be drawing and cutting panels this week. With the panels being 1/4" ply, I am going to clamp two sheets together and then make my cuts. I know other OD18 builders have done this. Any tricks of the trade are gladly accepted.

Thanks

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD18 Build

Post by Cracker Larry »

First challenge of mine was using a fine tooth or 144 tooth circular saw blade. This blade would bind up in the 3/4 ply and not cut real well. So I switched to a blade that came with my circular saw with a lower tooth count, and it cuts much smoother.
The trick is to set the blade depth only slightly deeper than the thickness of the wood. Clamping 2 sheets together and cutting them both as 1 is the way I do any parts that I need duplicates of. This insures they are exactly the same.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

Feels good to get all the panels cut out. Clamping the 2 sheets of plywood is the way to go. The cuts were very easy with the 1/4 inch stacked on top of each other.

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

Since this last post, I have been pretty busy...butt blocked the bottom, glued stringers to bottom, cut molds and tacked them to 2x4s, cut transom and tacked in place, spliced chine and lower panel. Persuaded my wife to help me zip the chine and lower panel in, and I think I have her hooked on boat building. Here are a few pics of the progress.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Making good progress. If you have questions do not hesitate to ask. There have been a ton of them built and for good reasons. The OD-18 makes a truly fine boat. :!:
Any man who can get his wife to help and she enjoys it is one lucky dude :lol:

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

Okay, so I am assuming I need to go ahead and spot weld the chine panel to the bottom and the lower panel to the chine panel. At some point I will also need to glue the transom down as well then panels to the transom. After, spot welding did you guys go ahead and put some biaxial down on each seem after removing the zips? Also, any advice on what order to achieve all of this?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

At the top of the page there is a tab marked "build threads" click on it and go to the OD-18 group. Go to Larry B's thread. Starting on about page 5 or 6 you will see how he did his. His boat turned out to be a work of art so you will not go wrong doing like he did.
There are several other OD-18 threads you should go over also there. Capeman's dory is great. And of course there is Cracker Larry's. His is the bible on how to build but the pictures all got deleted :cry:

Bbolton2
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bbolton2 »

Ok, just ran into my first significant issue. I need some wisdom from previous ODer's. Okay, so I am dry fitting the upper panels to see how they fit before gluing them on. After securing the starboard panel, the panel doesn't meet the lower panel at the bow.

These panels were clamped together and cut, so they are exactly alike. My thought is I messed up measuring, but after doing some rough measuring, it looks like it is right. These pictures were taken with the aft portion of the panel even with the transom. I know if I had to, I could always make a cardboard template and add to the bow. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

When you say they were clamped together and cut at the same time do you mean both of the lowers or do you mean both an upper and a lower? If you cut an upper and a lower at the same time that is the problem. The short side of the upper should be as long as the long side of the lower panel.
Have no fear............all is not lost :lol: Cut a filler and splice it to the upper panel and keep on going. It will be plenty strong and after fairing only you...........and us :D will ever know it happened. I made lots bigger goofs on my dory and it seems to work just fine :wink:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Also the angle of the dangle does not look right on that top panel :doh: