Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

The straight strip follows the sheer but the bottom of the strip does not lay on the hull. Would be easy to fill. Just want to make sure that's the right direction.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

That may be a question for Jacques. The gunwale/inwale/sheer strip has a structural function stiffening the hull; it's not merely aesthetic trim. So I think if I were doing it and there was a gap, I'd want it filled with chopped glass and epoxy, or better yet a ribbon of glass if it is possible to fit it. You want the result to be firm.
I wouldn't take my word for it but that's my take.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The gap is 1/4" at the most. I think I have enough tape that I could wrap it if I need to. I hate that biax with a passion though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Biax will be sloppy, but wait until it's green and then run a utility knife along the bottom of the wood strip.

-or-

Wet out the void with a chip brush and then use a spreader to force chopped glass mixed with wood flour and epoxy up into the space you want to fill. Tape it up to avoid sags and then remove the tape after a couple of hours.

-or-

Best: Invert the boat and let gravity eliminate the sagging and then use either of the above methods. This will be the easiest way to go but I don't know how difficult it is to flip your boat.
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:49 pm Question in rub rails: am I cutting straight strips or curved? The straight strips flare away from the hull on the bottom side of the rail. I don't think that's an issue (full with putty) but I've been wrong about most things in my life. 😏
It's not going to work with straight strips unless they are very thin.
Cut them along the same curve than the sheer line. Use the flat panel sheer edge as a template.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

jacquesmm wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:57 am It's not going to work with straight strips unless they are very thin.
Is the goal to have "100% contact" of the rub rail across the 1.5" width? Using 1/4" ply I'm able to get the rail to make 100% contact in all but a few areas (around the location of bow frame). I'm using spring clamps on the bottom edge to close the bottom gap. I've no issues redoing it (other than I need more wood now) if required.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If you have full contact or enough to fill the gap with epoxy, then it is fine. Many builders have reported that it was a struggle to bend the strips properly but if you did, it's fine.
It depends on the type of wood and patience of the builder.
BTW, this for the V10 and V12: those boats have a twisted sheer line.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think I'm good. I doubled the clamp count and I get a single strip 100% flat to the hull from bow to mid seat. The problem before was that I had the clamps too far apart.

I'm using 1/4" ply. I will add one strip at a time doing both sides at the same time. I will need to "temp assemble" both full rub rails to get the strips properly sized and trimmed (width) to minimize fill/fairing on the hull. I'm guessing it will be a much longer than needed project since this is really the first "finish" type work I'm doing and this has to be a bit "more right" than normal.

I should be able to get back to work worth taking pictures of soon.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Been two weeks, need my "lil Bit" fix :P

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Unlike you "people" working in the tundra, us southerners tend to prep for hot, not cold. And by cold I mean temperatures that you equate to summer evenings. :P

Seriously though... between rain, temps below reasonable cure temp, and general reprioritization by "the boss" It's been a bit. I have managed to cut ALMOST all the rub rail strips, acquire adequate clamps to afix said strips as well as devise a plan to get them all on quickly. Once I get a day that is >60 for the 7hrs needed (which pushes it to a weekend) I'll get on the rub rails.

The rest of the "stuff" (dagger board, rudder, etc) that I could be doing is all being put on hold as my indoor working space is currently being consumed by the aforementioned "boss". Given my general condition of 'in trouble" I try to not avoid intentionally stirring up the pot. I'm sure you are familiar with the condition from which I suffer.

All of that means that there isn't likely to be any update this weekend, but the following weekend looks promising.