0B15

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
AlanOB15
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

0B15

Post by AlanOB15 »

I just bought the plans for this boat and its my first. I did think I was going to use the stitch and glue method and did not think I needed to build a gig or frame. Has anyone built this boat in that way? :D

Thanks in advance

Alan

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 0B15

Post by jacquesmm »

You don't need a jig but you have to bend the hull panels around the frames, that is stitch and glue.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

AlanOB15
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AlanOB15 »

Thanks. So in the tutorials section there is a list of build methods "Hull Assembly Methods Overview" and one of the listed ones is Molds (=frames) and stringers interlock and automatically correct possible alignment mistakes. Very little bracing or leveling is required and the assembly progresses very fast. (See detailed description of this method in a separate tutorial)

Anyone know where is separate tutorial is located?

I have looked at all of the builds and I dont see this one.

Alan

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Think this is what you are looking for. It does call it a jig, but it's not a complicated one where accuracy is needed like on a strip built boat.

http://bateau2.com/howto/jig.php
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

AlanOB15
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AlanOB15 »

Thanks silentneko. I was actually hoping to build without a Jig if I could and there is mention of using molds without one. IN the build section and reference to see other tutorial but I dont see that one. Has anyone build this boat or similar just using the molds/frames to correct the shape.

AlanOB15
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AlanOB15 »

More specifically why cant I build it like this one http://baysidewoodenboats.com.au/galleries/fleet/ where the bulkheads/molds/frames are what makes the boat straight.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

There seem to be confusion about the definition of stitch and glue. Stitch and glue means a hull made from panels assembled with stitches then taped with epoxy. Jig or not, the OB15 is always a stitch and glue boat.

The OB15 plans and building notes show how to build the boat. The plans show a drawing of the jig and the notes explain step by step how to assemble the hull on a jig.

Small boats for rowing or sail are often built without a jig using the folding panel method. It is the method we show for our small boats like the PK78.
It is difficult to obtain a perfectly symmetrical and balanced hull with that method but this does not matter for rowing or sailing small boats.
It matters very much for a planing hull. A small difference in hull shape will affect performance. If you build the OB15 hull with the folding panel method, you may end up with a boat that constantly lean or heel to one side, pulls to one side or even does not get on plane easily.
For that reason, I specify building on a jig for all planing boats.

Hundreds of OB15 were built that way and they work perfectly well.

The boat you reference too is a small row boat that can take an engine. I have seen that boat, it's nice but not a planing boat. The bulkheads do not guarantee a straight boat, it can end up like twisted banana. :(

Knowing all that, the decision is up to you. You can build the OB15 with the folding panels method, the plans show the dimensions for the panels. It is not easier and there is a risk to end up with a twisted hull.

AlanOB15
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by AlanOB15 »

Thanks for the detailed response. That's what I did not understand, there there was a risk in using that build method on that boat. I'll build the Jig :)

Thanks

Alan

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Good decision.
The OB15's are good boats. One of my neighbors build one 20 years ago and still uses it every week-end.

AlanOB15
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 0B15 Jig Mold Help!!

Post by AlanOB15 »

Cant quite figure our the placement of model on the Jig from the plans. All the molds are of different heights right, so should I align them from the top so they are all the same height or from the bottom so that the highs are different.

Thanks in advance

Alan