Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Fuzz »

Well it only took $825 of diesel to maintain that "summers evening" temperature in the shop and house last month :( You guys get it for free :roll:
As for the boss I "let" her go visit family in Russia for the next three months so I get to be boss for a while :lol: Only problem is me and her dog seem to be losing weight :doh:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'd love to send mine to russia for a few weeks. Alas, she's not foreign (other than being a yankee). As it is, sending her to visit family is dangerous. She might bring them back with her. Then we'd have to move again.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am one of those rare men who would love to have my mother in law live with us. When she is here I can do no wrong and the wife does not do enough to take care of her man :D Love watching SWMBO get out ranked :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:12 pm I am one of those rare men who would love to have my mother in law live with us. When she is here I can do no wrong and the wife does not do enough to take care of her man :D Love watching SWMBO get out ranked :lol:
I have the opposite. "You can do better" gets old. You think that after 25 years and only working because she want's too, you'd think the wife's choice would be validated by now. Oh well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Starting on the rub rails. Ran into a "process" question.

I'm using 3x3/8 to make the thickness. Now that everything cut and fit the assembly stage is next. Which is the question... how should I assemble?

Here are my options.
1. One layer at a time with set up time between each layer.
2. Stick it all on the boat in one big glue up (no set up time).
3. Laminate the rails off the boat then muscle it all together for one glue to the hull.

I'm thinking I want option 1. 2 would seem to make things overly fluid leading to drift of layers. 3 would make the rail too stiff to bend to the compound curve of the hull.

Thoughts?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

1. One layer at a time with set up time between each layer.
2. Stick it all on the boat in one big glue up (no set up time).
3. Laminate the rails off the boat then muscle it all together for one glue to the hull.
Here's my vote: #1 for sure. #2 has plenty of potential for catastrophe and #3 is not likely to bend at all. #1 will be difficult enough. Make sure that the top of each laminate is at least level with the final surface you want to achieve. Then a plane will give you a flush surface. I admit that this leaves a little room for unevenness on the underside but when you get there report back to us for further amateur advice. :D :roll:
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I don't as actually planning to line up the bottom of the rails then plane/sand the top flush. The bottom would still get fillet/faired and the top faired. I think it will come out "the same" either way though.

cape man

Post by cape man »

One at a time.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well fuzz, here some fodder you can shoot back at me.

Got all my pieces cut. Asked my question and got answered. Went outside and mixed up enough epoxy to the the rub rails in ONE SETTING. Then ran out of clamps after the P&S bow sections were on. 12oz of glue sitting there going to waste.

Moral to the story... when you change your plans CHANGE THE PLAN ON THE PAPER TOO. At least I know I'm an idiot.

No pics. Had a too messy to touch phone.

Let the appropriate razzing begin!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, I bet it will never happen again!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!! Jeff