Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

I expect it will happen again tomorrow!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

:lol: :lol: :lol: As they say I am loving it.
If you and I got together we could f... up a s... sandwich :help:
Just remember no matter how bad it seems somebody has done worse. That and it CAN be fixed.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Pictures would have made it more fun for the rest of us :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I promise you a pict of the wasted glue. Complete with embedded stir stick and putty knife.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:55 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: As they say I am loving it.
If you and I got together we could f... up a s... sandwich :help:
Just remember no matter how bad it seems somebody has done worse. That and it CAN be fixed.
"The boss" would like me to inform you:
1. He can f up ANY sandwich on his own. He may be able to teach you a thing or two on creative f ups.
2. It's hard to believe anyone can surpass him when it comes to "worse". And there have been enough bonfires to prove there are points where things can't be fixed.

Much to my frequent dismay she keeps track. On paper. With photos. And signatures from witnesses. I've no idea why she sticks around. I clearly married up.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

:lol: :lol: Good one. I feel for you..............a little :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I deserve it. She's a saint.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I wanted to make sure I had no alligned joints. First layer is 8' bow and 56" stern. First pic is just the bow section since someone did not buy enough clamps. Second pic is for Fuzz. Third pic is the 56" stern for layer 1 and the 48" bow sections for layer two. Third layer will have 8' bow sections.

Last edited by Jaysen on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I think you need more clamps, really. If you look in the gallery I think you'll find builders putting them every 4-6 inches.
Slicing pvc tubing in 1/2 works, or buy a bunch at HF.
It's hard to get good contact all along the shear without a lot of clamps and you don't want voids.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I did lots of test fitting and marking for clamp placement. I also used a bit "extra" glue. All the seams "squirted" along the length. I'll also be giving it a few coats of much thinner glue to let it seep into and voids there may exist that i didn't find.

I'm also wond ring if I need to wrap the rubrail in fg. It seems folks are only doing that with bright work, but it would add even more strength for the v12.

Clamp availability is an issue. Never been able to find a HF, TSC is a bit away, and I've cleaned Lowes out three times. Add to that the likelihood of ever needing all these again...

I'll have to try that PVC trick. I'm not sure it would be enough to keep the twist in the ply. The spring clamps I'm using do the trick but the off brands of the same size didn't cut it.