Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Fuzz »

He needs about a drums worth of epoxy. 20 or so sheets of assorted plywood and 3-4 rolls of biax. Oh and 20 lbs of wood flour. :lol: :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:03 pm Jaysen, call me Monday morning and I will get you want you need asap!! Jeff
Short list to start with:
Wood flour
Fighting Lady Yellow or close to it (only need to cover upper panels of hull)
Very light greyish that can take non skid additive (entire interior)
Nonskid additive.
Some medium or fast epoxy
Light cloth (the 12oz it too heavy/thick for a few places)

Might need to add more if I screw something up tomorrow.

BTW, the "remnants" of the cnc kit are bailing my bacon out of the fire. Rub rails. Cleats for seats. Bow "deck" I'm adding. So far it's all coming from the cutoffs.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:21 pm He needs about a drums worth of epoxy. 20 or so sheets of assorted plywood and 3-4 rolls of biax. Oh and 20 lbs of wood flour. :lol: :lol:
Seems like that's what I've used. I'm almost out of my SECOND three gal kit. This will be third wood flour order. That's enough for TWO v12 kits. I will say that my latest tape job is MUCH better than my first. No running mess or puddles in the low spots.

Need to get even better if I'm going to tackle the big blow boats.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Keep building them. Each one will be better than the last one. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Already in discussions with the bank on the next one. Trying to decide on "go fast" or "floating hotel". Will be sail powered with electric harbor motor either way.

I've also made a small decision after yesterday. All future builds need to have a proper "build space". Not necessarily walled but proper shelter with adequate overhang, proper power for lights, fans, heat, and tools to all run at the same time, some type of lift capacity, and a hard level floor that won't need reset after every rain. I should be able to just improve the current area with some 8x8 posts 12' high and just modify the structure as needed. Luckily I need some concrete and fence work done so those may go in soon.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:30 pm What do you think of Tony's idea of using the fairing mix stuff to hold the seats to the cleats?
I personally would absolutely avoid that, use the appropriate materials there where needed.
It's your boat so do whatever you please, but before you decide to go ahead with the the fairing filler take a look at the chart below, you will find that the fairing filler have "no strength" what so ever.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Peter, I completely cede the point to you, and I regularly follow the chart you've posted. Can I say that I've, never, ever used a mix recommended for one use when I didn't have it on hand? :roll: I do not ever recall one of my epoxy jobs failing to stick together.

But does the chart say it has "no strength"? I'm not seeing that; it's just a continuum from strongest to most sandable. Nothing goes to zero. I have to epoxy some stuff up today so for yuks I'm going to take a couple of scraps of Meranti and make up some glue from microballoons and glue them together. Tomorrow I'll try to break them and we'll see what happens. Kind of like the Mythbusters! If they just pop apart I owe you a beer. :D
Tony

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

terrulian wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:05 am Peter, I completely cede the point to you, and I regularly follow the chart you've posted. Can I say that I've, never, ever used a mix recommended for one use when I didn't have it on hand? :roll: I do not ever recall one of my epoxy jobs failing to stick together.

But does the chart say it has "no strength"? I'm not seeing that; it's just a continuum from strongest to most sandable. Nothing goes to zero. I have to epoxy some stuff up today so for yuks I'm going to take a couple of scraps of Meranti and make up some glue from microballoons and glue them together. Tomorrow I'll try to break them and we'll see what happens. Kind of like the Mythbusters! If they just pop apart I owe you a beer. :D
It's like don't try to reinvent the wheel, actually it's quite simple no Mythbusters needed, take a leftover film of hardened epoxy without filler with 410 filler and 406 filler, you will find the first 2 you can break without any effort, now try to break the one with the 406 filler, getting my point? :wink:
Regarding the chart,no it doesn't mention strength at the 410 filler while it gives 1 to 4 stars in strength to other fillers, and yes it probably sticks together at the point you are gluing but you want the keep it stick together over the years also don't you?
Again I say, don't try to reinvent the wheel use the appropriate materials there where needed.

Tungsten
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tungsten »

Enjoying the build! I'd agree that pretty much any filler will work,theres talc powder ,chopped up paper, chopped up cotton, dust from under the table saw it all works.Just keep the consistency between mayo and ketchup.
Build on.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Still going to do my experiment and I'll let you know.
Anyway the point was, remember, that he didn't have the right materials and he was gluing the seats to the cleats, not the frames to the hull. Of course you want to use the right stuff for the right job, but that's easy for me to say, since Tap Plastics is about five minutes away.
Tony