Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Dang you Fuzz! You and your "use a screw or two on the rub rail"...

Let's do some basic math folks.
Every third grade math teacher ever wrote: H = 3/8 x 3 + 1/4

Given the fact that Jaysen's hull and rub rail thickness can be calculated as H, how stupid is Jaysen for using 1.5" screws to assist with clamping the rub rail?
Looks like some idiot gets to fill some new holes in his hull.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Here's my plan to dice the little holes I have.

1. Drill out hole to 1/4"
2. Put some straight epoxy in the hole using cotton swab.
3. Cover outside hole with tape.
4. Fill with ...

I was thinking microballoons but now I'm not so sure. Really thick wood flour? The rub rails will get wrapped in 6oz biax but I'm not sure what is right in the hole.

Ideas?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

The problem is going to be getting those holes filled with them horizontal. Gravity will leave a space at the top. I don't know how much the boat weighs at this point but I would be tempted to tape up, say the port side of the holes, prop the boat up on its side, and fill with a reasonably liquid mix of wood flour and epoxy, like thick syrup, from the starboard side. The holes will sag a little so if you want you could go back and just put a little goop in each one, this time more like peanut butter, then smooth with a spreader, when you're doing the glass layup, wet on wet.

BTW I did glue two small pieces of Meranti together using a paste of microballoons and epoxy. I'll report back.

In regard to the whole cleat problem: If Jacques did not specify taping the seats, then I am quite confident that gluing the seats down with, jeesh, anything, together with the additional taping, is strong enough. I know I taped my seat tops to the hull and I thought I remember that was part of the instructions.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Page 3 of v12 build notes, last item before "Finish"
"-Install seat tops: glue on cleats with epoxy putty, staple."

That's it.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:55 pm Here's my plan to dice the little holes I have.

1. Drill out hole to 1/4"
2. Put some straight epoxy in the hole using cotton swab.
3. Cover outside hole with tape.
4. Fill with ...

I was thinking microballoons but now I'm not so sure. Really thick wood flour? The rub rails will get wrapped in 6oz biax but I'm not sure what is right in the hole.

Ideas?
What? you were only 1/8 inch long :lol: And how is it my fault you used too long of screw :doh:
I would drill them out a little over size. Tape one side with packing tape. Fill hole and if your mix wants to run put tape over that side too. Like Tony said if it is not perfectly full you can add a little more after it has hardened.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

No clue what your guys all talking about, really! put the sides up to fill some holes on the sides? you've got to be kidding me, just mix op some non sagging mixture of silica and epoxy and fill up and sand those suckers! Again use the stuff that's meant to be for the job and you don't have to reinvent the wheel, but hey what does this third world country islander know right? :roll:

Edit: those are really heavy fillets with lots of material connecting the deck to the side panels, you really think I flipped my boat back over to lay those and tape them?
Last edited by peter-curacao on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:22 pm What? you were only 1/8 inch long :lol: And how is it my fault you used too long of screw :doh:
Never would have tried that without "encouragement" :P

Just because I'm slow... why wouldn't I use paste thick enough that it doesn't sag? I've made stuff closer to playdogh that still won't come off.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

peter-curacao wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:27 pm No clue what your guys all talking about, really! put the sides up to fill some holes on the sides? you've got to be kidding me, just mix op some non sagging mixture of silica and epoxy and fill up and sand those suckers! Again use the stuff that's meant to be for the job and you don't have to reinvent the wheel, but hey what does this third world country islander know right? :roll:
I'm listening! Used remaining flour and sifted "120g sander dust" to get the rub rail on. I'll add silica stuff to the list for Jeff. All I have on hand are fairing mix and graphite. I'll get the straight stuff in the holes once things have cured enough to remove screws and clamps.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That is what I would do. But first paint a little neat resin in the holes and let it tack up. Heck I have 5-6 holes in my hull that are one inch or bigger and that is what I am doing to them.
One time I was helping a buddy move a bare hull home he had just bought. The thing was half full of water and we had no pump. He was all worried and afraid to move it like that. I walked over to the hull with a cordless drill and a 3/4 bit. Punched a hole in it and said "lets go get a beer" I thought he was going to cry :lol: :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I've seen you guys drilling enough holes to not be worried about it being possible. I only want to make sure I use "the right stuff". I've been striking out all day...
Last edited by Jaysen on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.