Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Good lord almighty. Fast epoxy is fast!

I really like the silica mix. I was able to get a nice "wax" to fill holes. Worked into the holes very smooth and with no sag that will require more than a sand and touch of fairing mix. Did lose most of a 3oz mix to of melting my hand when it went off in the bowl ("self, did we take up smoking?" "No we did not." "Then what is the burning sensation in our left and the this smiley vapor in the breeze from?").

Going to add a touch of slow to it on the next batch to get more working time.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Fuzz has the right question; if you're going to toss it anyway why not give it a try?
But after considering it, I think you're right about it being quite a piece of 3D geometry to come up with a kerf design. What you could do is, like Fuzz says, borrow a skilsaw and put some kerfs by eyeballing the high spots. When it becomes flexible enough to make flat with some bricks on top, wet out the surface, then mix up some slightly thicker goop with wood flour, spread to make sure the voids are filled, then cover with a piece of cloth and wet it out. Put a piece of Visqueen on top and then a flat board and lots of weight and then cross your fingers.

On the other hand, like the old song says, doctor says you'll get better but you'll never get well.

It's a real drag you don't have enough plywood but if that process doesn't work I think I'd bite the bullet on this one and start over.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I really like that silica stuff. How is it for strength?

I thought about Fuzz and Tony prodding and said "why not?" Went inside and thought about how to do the mapping for kerfs. 3D scanner and surface mapping would be nice. Now that I live here, no access. A 3 axis CAM on sense mode with a pressure sensor... nope. Flip it and rock to find axial line! Low tech solution.

Went inside and flipped it. No corner is touching thing rocks no matter what edge you press. That means it's worse than a cone... it's a spheroid deform. I had to try real hard to fork it up that bad.

I could probably get it straight in one direction. Easiest will be on the vertical (long). Problem is, that still has me going in circles. To straighten it out on the horizontal will require kerfs along vertical axis. I'm still trying to see how I can figure those kerfs out.

Makes me wish for my old jointer and planner...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And I'm sold on fast. Excluding my "medium" mix, all the epoxy I put on is "dry" enough for wet on wet. Not quite hard enough to sand but clearly a move in the right direction. I need to tweak the medium mix to learn the ratios for various temps...

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Don't worry about silica for strength.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Just looked up the chart from Peter. I may start using this stuff for more things. I really like the consistency. I think I'll try it for fillets on the seats and skeg. I'll stick with the wood flour for gluing them though.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I got it! Let me help you out :D Tell SWMBO you built her a new fancy snack tray for when the men are over drinking rum, pondering boats and solving the rest of the worlds problems :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Fuzz on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Snack tray? That would imply a few things:
1. She gets snack for us.
2. She lets them come in the house
3. She doesn't run us all off with a broom.

I think I'm going to focus on the cassette part if the lifting rudder for now. Then I'll figure out the blade once that's down. Why deal with it today when it will be just as difficult to deal with later?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:46 pm Went inside and thought about how to do the mapping for kerfs. 3D scanner and surface mapping would be nice. Now that I live here, no access. A 3 axis CAM on sense mode with a pressure sensor... nope. Flip it and rock to find axial line! Low tech solution.
Went inside and flipped it. No corner is touching thing rocks no matter what edge you press. That means it's worse than a cone... it's a spheroid deform. I had to try real hard to fork it up that bad.
I could probably get it straight in one direction. Easiest will be on the vertical (long). Problem is, that still has me going in circles. To straighten it out on the horizontal will require kerfs along vertical axis. I'm still trying to see how I can figure those kerfs out.

Makes me wish for my old jointer and planner...
Methinks you're over complicating this. If you can get the long axis close to straight that's probably all you need to worry about. Don't forget you can always grind down with coarse grit, and build up with scraps and epoxy. Then again, if you want to just be done with it, build a new one and be more careful! :D
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Of course I am. That's the way I do things.

I'm still not sure I'm going to give up on it yet. It's still sitting on the table watching us eat. I'm actually thinking that I could use it as a core by just grinding it flat and then wrapping with glass. Much as you suggested.

Still not sure how this shape turns into a lifting rudder though. Still thinking that through.