Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

It's not warm. At least not my my standards. I'm sure Fuzz would be out in a speedo if it was this temp up his way, but I'm a soft southerner now.

1. Put some straight fast on the seats prior to install. Will get to do a pile of sanding on them because thick resin needed preheated but stupid was impatient.

2. Worked on rub rails... Someone remind me, do we build boats or sand them into existence?

3. Contemplating better method to fix my rub rail laminating mess. I "think" I'm going to create a dam on the outer edge, then use a router trim bit along the side panel edge to get flush. Follow that with a small radius rounder to reduce edge (except at oarlock locations... I have edge mounted).

4. Contemplating rudder still. Since i'm already sanding my boat into existence, I'm seriously considering a straight up FG blade. use my good left over ply to make the cassette and leverage the ability to really control the FG to make the blade exactly how I'd like it. Once I get something like a sketch done up I'll post it here for folks to scoff at.

Tomorrow should get some more sanding or filling in depending on how you all react to my #3 up there. I'm expecting to hear it's a bad idea, but even a blind pig finds the trough every now and then...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Me and a speedo have never gone together no matter how hot :lol:

How about posting a picture of your rub rail problem. I am not sure I understand the problem without a picture.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not a problem, just the natural result of not using pins to ensure alignment as well as not being perfectly cut strips. Results it some strips being high in spots and some low. Only real problem is when the low is on the outer strip. Then I'll need to build it up to level, hence the dam idea.

Eventually I'll stop being lazy and actually post a pic of it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And I'm sure the universe and all it contains thanks you and me for never getting near a speedo.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:42 pm And I'm sure the universe and all it contains thanks you and me for never getting near a speedo.
Wife told me when a man and woman are out together it is very important that she looks good. As for the man he only needs to look a little better than a monkey :lol: So when she does not like something I put on I remind her "hey I look better than a monkey" :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:50 pm As for the man he only needs to look a little better than a monkey :lol: So when she does not like something I put on I remind her "hey I look better than a monkey" :D
Mine recently replied "says who?"

I had no reply.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Not a problem, just the natural result of not using pins to ensure alignment as well as not being perfectly cut strips. Results it some strips being high in spots and some low. Only real problem is when the low is on the outer strip. Then I'll need to build it up to level, hence the dam idea.
I probably did't have quite as much variation because I evened out the laminations on the rub rail with with a block plane without difficulty. I like the dam idea but make sure to put packing tape on it so the dam doesn't become part of the boat...that is if I understand what you're doing. Yes, please post pictures so we can see what's going on.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You've got the idea. My plane isn't up to it. Seems my jigsaw skills just aren't what they used to be and I have up to 1/4" variance. Stack a plus and a minus and you wind up with a 1/2" mess.

My plan for the dam is actually use tape and card stock. Use the card stock to create stiffness, loop tape over it and tape to rubrail. Use silica thickener and pour in with some spatula smoothing. Would make it a little thin to help it flow.

I should probably run the router over the rail first to lower all the high spots. That would reduce the amount of epoxy trapped when I pour it. Hmmm. That's something I can do now.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well, looks like I need to go buy a router bit or three. No idea where the "good ones" are. The trim bits I've got here have no business near Lil Bit. Run into town already planned for tomorrow. Guess I'll just have to watch a movie and drink some rum.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Gee, sounds tough.
If you create a good enough dam, and you intend to glass over it anyway, it shouldn't involve a horrible amount of shaping.
I did something similar to create a lip on the bow because the rubber rub rail I fastened around the gunwale wouldn't mold itself to the steep curve at the bow. This made a proper flange to wed it to. I had to invert the boat and then put the rub rail in place, taped up with packing tape, and made up a fairly viscous mix but one that would still flow, and filled up the gap between the rubber rail and the boat. Then let it kick and removed the rubber rail. It worked very well, so yours should too.
Tony