Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by terrulian »

Gee, sounds tough.
If you create a good enough dam, and you intend to glass over it anyway, it shouldn't involve a horrible amount of shaping.
I did something similar to create a lip on the bow because the rubber rub rail I fastened around the gunwale wouldn't mold itself to the steep curve at the bow. This made a proper flange to wed it to. I had to invert the boat and then put the rub rail in place, taped up with packing tape, and made up a fairly viscous mix but one that would still flow, and filled up the gap between the rubber rail and the boat. Then let it kick and removed the rubber rail. It worked very well, so yours should too.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Pictures taken. Gallery down...

Stupid cold wave. Nothing is happening since some idiot forgot to put the very ends of the rubrail on (less than 8" at bow). Should be warm enough to do tomorrow. If I wasnt forbidden to bring the epoxy into the house I'd try to get it on today.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

You call yourself stupid a lot. I talk to myself when I'm working and when it is not "ok, we fair this out and then we'll do the seat," often it's "what an ******* idiot" or something like that but the other day I heard myself saying "you are the dumbest guy in dumbland."
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Are you sure you aren't me in disguise?

99% of the things going wrong around me are 100% my fault. The other 1% of things, those not going wrong, will go wrong once I touch them in some way. It's just the way the universe reminds me of my place.

In this case I just forgot to glue the last little sections of run rail on. No one else to blame for this.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:48 pm Pictures taken. Gallery down...

Stupid cold wave. Nothing is happening since some idiot forgot to put the very ends of the rubrail on (less than 8" at bow). Should be warm enough to do tomorrow. If I wasnt forbidden to bring the epoxy into the house I'd try to get it on today.
So what do you call a stupid cold wave? It was -2 here this morning.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Cold enough that I can see steam off my coffee?

It was upper 40s. Speedo weather for you, end of the world for us ;-) Biggest issue was the water falling from the sky. The wind made the tarp useless as a barrier. No point into trying to do much in that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Yep, some days you just got to say it ain’t happening and move on.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Glued up the last segment of rail layer 2 port and starboard. Used extra glue to fill som of the fiesta prior to breaking out the router and flush trim bit. First thing tomorrow I'll get layer 3 completed and should get the rail top trimmed before evening.

While that's all setting I'll fit, laminate, then glue in the mast partner. That should take right up to the flush trim point.

Once mast partner and upper trim is done, I'll fill any remaining low spots on the rubrail, fillet mast partner under side joint and the partner to rubrail area. While that's still moist I'll wrap the run rail and the mast partner/hull junction with 6"x6oz biax tape.

That will leave the front "deck", mid seat, and rear seat to complete the inside/upper part of the hull.

Once that tape sets I'll flip the hull (should be Sunday afternoon and get to work on finishing the bottom. Skew and dagger box glassing, then fairing. My hope is to have hull ready for paint by Friday. That will let the bottom cure for a week while I'm on vacation (may not be best for graphite layer).

That's the plan for this weekend anyway.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Got my 3mi run in and shower before 7:30. Got outside and finished the last of the rubrail pieces and filling SOME of the excessive low spots with the spare wood flour mix. Used fast so by early afternoon should be able to hit it with the router.

New trim bit acquired. Does anyone know if "consumable tooling" gets counted for records in SC? I doubt this bit will be good after this.

If the boss lady ever makes breakfast, I'll start in the mast partner post consumption of afore mentioned food. I will likely work on the foredeck parts at the same time since all will need sealed and glued. Should get some pics.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Mast partner inner piece trimmed. Outer measured for inner placement. Glued together and clamped. Not sure how I want to attach it to the run rail though.

1. Make flat spot in rubrail and glue.
2. Just add thickened epoxy to span the outer gap.

The complicating part is my "foredeck" plan that closes the bow back to the mast partner. My plan is to keep them on the same plane and so I would use the same method of attachment. I like the idea of creating a flat spot but I'm not sure that is as simple as it sounds. Spanning the gap is easy and a few seconds with a round over bit will make the glass happy...