Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 pm Jaysen, looking really good!! Nice bow!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff. If it looks good it's a testament to Jacques methods, his plans, BBC supplies, and the help of the forum. I've assumed all my normal "woodworking" skills should be tossed and intentionally did things as if I didn't know better (I knew that I needed to pin this damn rail laminations).

If I can do it anyone can
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You remember the line from Jaws "we are going to need a bigger boat" :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Every weekend there are guys running kayaks out there. I figure I'm smarter than they are.

And bigger boat is already being thought through :P
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

You listed water maker twice, so you can knock at least one thing off your list. I presume you mean a hand pump kind. I would think that would be necessary only in an emergency; you ought to be able to carry enough water for two-three days. I recommend a floating, waterproof VHF, then no worries. You do have quite an inventory there and you haven't listed any fishing gear.

I'm really fond of this project. I more than once did a weekend regatta with two nights camping, where you had to bring everything you needed for survival as you sailed to a beach to camp on with no auto access. You could leave your gear on the beach for the races. I did it in a Byte which is 12 feet long and as you see, not built for cruising. So it's not at all impossible.

(That's not me! I looked waaayyyy better. :lol: )

There are now a couple of big events for boats like yours, one in Florida and one in Alaska, where you have a race of several days and rules require that you must be able to beach your boat. Don't think I'm going to attempt anything like that at my age but it gets my blood up to read about it.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That double count on watermaker was intentional. You can live a long time without food. You only get three days without water. If it floats I'm sticking a water maker in it :-)

And yes, the hand pump type. Light. Cheap. Simple to use.

I intend to get the floating waterproof VHF. One thing I've learned, if you need it to stay alive, you need at least two of them.

My "worst case" scenario is getting cut in half by an idiot in a power boat. Those dry bags will float. The rear end of Lil Bit will float. I've got 2x the chance to find food and water and communication with this plan.

Fishing gear for me is simple
30 6/0 circle hooks
10 each 3, 4, 5 oz egg weights
30 7 size swivels
1 spool 30lb braid
1 spool 50lb mono
1 spool 100lb mono
2x ugly stick 7' heavy
2x ugly stock 7' medium

Bait is equally simple:
7'' cast net
2x 5gal bucket (really 4)
2x high flow water pumps

Bait is acquired in transit. Water pumps cycle water through buckets (sealed lid) and over the side. Once no longer under way, inner bucket goes over side. Inner bucket has 1/4" holes to allow water flow.

I'm making a 3 compartment cooler that will sit in front of the mid seat. R30 styrene lined with glass. Small port section (between dagger box and hull) human food, small starboard frozen bait and guts from catch for crabs, large chamber for caught fish. Dry ice and frozen 2liter bottles for cooling (and drinking).

Electronics on board:
Garmin fish finder + gps tracking (still deciding)
USB chargers (I make them)
Blue tooth speaker box
Camera
Media device
Cell phone

General stuff not listed:
Fry pan
Life jackets
Scale
Tape measure
Pliers
500mph tape
Anchor with 100' rhode
Zip ties. Sh!t load of zip ties
Fire extinguisher

Add the shrinking man (I've lost 60lbs already) and I should be sitting at about 250 fully loaded for a weekend maybe 300. That's today, not once I lose the 45 I've committed to losing this year. Keep in mind that's a full weekend load with no expected access to shore. a day trip much much lighter.

Those dinghy races are right up my ally. I'm not sure why they need to beach though. Do it all on the water!

If I was independently wealthy I'd be sitting on a Shannon 34 cutter rigged ketch starting the trip north for transat. By September I'd be heading into the Mediterranean for the winter. From there I'd follow the vende globe route for a circumnavigation with lots of stops at interesting places.

I'm still trying to get over that seasick problem. Luckily I have time. Independent wealth won't be here for a while.

And yes, I over think things. Everything. All the time. But I enjoy thinking.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Dang man, you trying to lose 105lbs total? Is there going to be anything left of you?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:01 pm Dang man, you trying to lose 105lbs total? Is there going to be anything left of you?
Sadly, yes.

5 years ago I was 260lbs with a BP that was 230+/140+ and a resting pule of almost 100bpm. As of today I'm at 200, BP is 113/73, resting pulse of 68. I'm almost completely off the BP meds. I'm committed to the next 45 only because that will put me "at the right place" to live long enough to sail around the world. Will I cry if I only lose 25 or 30? Hell no.

BTW, I was talking to some "health nuts" the other day who were all excited for "the big race" they were prepping for. I asked them what they were doing... "we are going the distance on T days (Tues, Thurs) and intervals on half distance on non T days." "Wow!" I said, "that some serious running." I was thinking that a half marathon 2x a week was a bit of running. "How are you holding up?" I asked. "It a heck of a lot of extra running for us but we are so excited! It just a couple weeks away." Thinking to myself that they mentioned they would be in town the next couple weeks I couldn't think of anything near by that was a 13.6, only some shorter races. At this point they asked me about my routine. "Well, I run 30min every day alternating between intervals and speed, but on day 6 I double the distance. All about keeping the ticker in shape. I've learned to love it." I told them. In a very condescending manner, the 98lb woman winked at her 135lb male partner and said "that's so great, what distance are you up to? mile and a half?" I calmly replied, "I'm pulling 3mi a day and 6mi on Saturdays." the 200lb fat man looked a the now ashen faced boy toy and said, "what race are you doing?" He hemmed and hawed for a moment and mumbled something about a 5k. "Isn't that only a 3.2mi run?" I asked them. they decided that they were no longer interested in talking to the fat guy that is running their "big race" every day at a pace they are struggling to match.

For the record, I'm only 43 and all of 5' 10". Way too young to be flirting with a stroke like I was. If I can beat that I can FINISH THIS DANG BOAT!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And do you know what the two harvesting things have been?

1. Giving up coffee.

2. LIGHT BEER!!!

I'm not sure it's worth it some days...

Then I see all the Ms on the size tabs of my clothes... Hell yes it is!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Impressive, good for you. With that much will power finishing this boat and the next one will not even be a challenge.
Don't go tipping over I need my regular dose of humour :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Beer no problem.
Coffee better to just go ahead and shoot me.