Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, I fully agree with Fuzz that there is nothing wrong with your graphite work!! It looks good!! "Lil Bit" is really coming along nicely now!!! I can see a splash in her not too distant future!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Current plan is that the next boat will be a sb18. I will do that one "right". Following that we have one of two options:
1. Build a straight vg26 for cruising the Caribbean.
2. Buy a large hull (35+) and refit as a world cruising live a board.

The sb18 will help us decide what we want. I love the size and layout on the VG26. But if we are going to be full time it just isn't going to be big enough (I'll still be working and will need to have "office space"). It all comes down to how we enjoy the open water. I'm willing to risk piling up my toe nails because I really like it. I'd never as the Mrs to do that.

Anyway, you are right. I'm actually surprised at how well Lil Bit is turning out. I've taken shortcuts knowing the results would not be close to CL level. Which is fine for me. I know I'll be beating the snot out of that hull. No point in stressing for perfection only to ruin it day one.

I will really enjoy this boat no matter how she looks. Next boat... that one will be pretty. Very pretty.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks Jeff. It's all due to the help here on the forum!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Refresh our minds... this is the state of the hull this morning. Man she looks line in the morning sun (makes it really hard to pay attention to the calls with the Philippines, India and EU).

I plan to start the wet sand this afternoon as well as cleanup the sides where the graphite ran a bit. Two questions:
1. I don't think I need to feather the tape line since it will just smooth out as I build the top coat on the sides. Is this correct?
2. Given the small nature of the hull, should I just flip her back to right side up, fair up the inside then prime and paint everything in one go?

#2 is kind of what I'm leaning toward. I can mask off any areas that will need glued/glassed and deal with them as touch up. And it will let me get all the painting done in a set of sessions instead of going back and forth between paint, fairing, and curing.

Thoughts?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

The paint should build up to the graphite.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

I'm by no means an expert but I'd go with plan 2. It just makes more sense to me.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

I would not flip but paint he sides finished so you will have runs if any not onto the beautiful graphite epoxy
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I thought of that. I was thinking to mask the graphite a bit better than I did the sides... I will use mask tape with paper to endure that any drips stay off the graphite. Peter C did something similar while working on the flyer.

That was my thought anyway.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Last night the boss looks at me...
"Why are you in here and not dust or paint covered?"
"I've been letting the bottom graphite cure and ..."
"That's not what I asked!"
"Can't flip Lil Bit to paint or work on inside until bottom cures. Today is the last day".
"If it's done, WHY ARE YOU IN HERE?!?"
"I need a hand flipping her."
She gets off the couch and walks to the other room. Two shoes hit me in the back of the head.
"Sitting here isn't getting me out to the sand bar. Get those on and let's go. MOVE!" †

Suffice it to say, Lil Bit is now in her cradle right side up. I have a ton of touch up sanding to do before I start smoothing the inner hull and frames with fairing compound. I'll be marking off the areas that need glue for seats, knees, breast hook, and mast partner to make sure no fairing compound gets between the parts and the wood.

Tonight's plan:
1. Sand rub rail of all epoxy "drips" from bottom side build up.
2. Measure and mask mast partner.
3. General sand/cleanup of any other obvious messes.
4. Prep for foam in aft seat.

#4 is where I need a bit of advice. I have coated the compartment with epoxy a few times. But I've also sanded a few times. Do I need to put a fresh coat on there or can I just pour in the mixed foam?

While the wife loves the fictional representation above, she is really a saint. The conversation was more like: "Are you feeling ok today? You look really tired. I can get you another beer if you'd like. I know you wanted to work on Lil Bit... anything I can do to help?" And while I was talking about flipping she got my shoes and talked about how fun it would be to sail out to the sand bar. I have no idea how I wound up with this woman, but I have NOTHING to complain about.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I pretty much suspected that your description of your wife was meant to be tongue in cheek but it is honorable of you to clarify it. I also am extremely fortunate in marriage.

As to sealing before foam: The first coat of epoxy will have penetrated and sealed the plywood. Unless you've sanded right through that to bare wood, you should be OK adding the foam without another coat.
Tony