Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jeff »

Absolutely agree Fuzz!!!! No fun, No Go!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I get that. I don't know if I could stand on a dock in those conditions. My last foray tells me I'm a good bit away from anything but mild weather for a while. Luckily I have plenty of sheltered, semi sheltered and "what the fork did I come out here in this?" space to practice my over-the-side-goes-the-last-4-days-of-food.

I will sail offshore. I will. Someday.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Looks like I beat Fuzz to posting pictures.

Forward to mid frame. The "deck" is finished enough. You can see the first layer of fairing over the tape on the hull sides. I've yet to mask the areas the areas that will be glued/glassed. Not super critical for seat areas since the cleats will produce most of the support.

Aft to newly trimmed floatation foam. Not 100% filled but close enough to call it done.

And there's Paris Island and Lil Bit's first destination for deck bloodying. Just over 2mi but an easy sail.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Looking good Jaysen! It's pretty down there, my folks had a house on Harbor Island.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not sure when it opened, but "Johnson Creek Tavern" just before the bridge to Hunting Island is a go to for us when company comes to visit. Hit the beach, stop for a beer and meal and more beer, grab a pile o' shrimp from Gay's seafood, hit Wrens Nest or Barefoot farms on the way to the house and then a low country boil as the sun goes down while the Marines yell goodnight to it. Living down here is pretty damn close to living in heaven. Especially if you dream of living on the sea.

Been thinking this morning about a proper way to show the proper respect to CL and contributions he made to Lil Bit. I've a few ideas but haven't settled on anything yet.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I must be doing something wrong. This is only a 12' boat. It should not take this long to sand. Especially with a motorized sander. I'm going to to try making the mix with even more microboloons to see if that softens it up.

That or my 60gr has gone soft. No idea what's wrong.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'm sure you're changing paper often?
Tony

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:55 am Not sure when it opened, but "Johnson Creek Tavern" just before the bridge to Hunting Island is a go to for us when company comes to visit. Hit the beach, stop for a beer and meal and more beer, grab a pile o' shrimp from Gay's seafood, hit Wrens Nest or Barefoot farms on the way to the house and then a low country boil as the sun goes down while the Marines yell goodnight to it. Living down here is pretty damn close to living in heaven. Especially if you dream of living on the sea.
I agree with that. I miss shrimping and catching when I wanted some. I love the coast.

Have you tried my coffee grinder trick? dump your microballoons and silica in and pulse it a few times. It makes better compound IMHO. I also agree with Terrulian, Keep the paper fresh! I used six 16 inch strips sanding my bottom today. I'm using an air file to knock down the heavy stuff then I block sand. I'm using paper from Eastwood auto tools, It's made in Portugal and its good stuff. I'll get you the brand name when I get to work in the morning.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Remember I'm lazy.

6" disc on RO gets swapped after about 4'. Using the same "not prime" brand I've been using since day one. I did notice that I'm getting flaking of the media from the backer. I'm. It sure if it's "more" than normal or I just noticed out of frustration.

Yes, I know cheap-ish sandpaper is satan's revenge. It's about supply. The wife pics me up refills on her way home. Anything "special" and I'd still be working to tape the seams.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I am also busy sanding like an idiot but on your thread there are the authors with their tips that really will work. Tonys idea of changing sanding strips often I will adhere to from today. I sanded yesterday with one 14 ounce strip 3/4 of one side of the boat and that was hard going for 4 hours. Luckily Erics specification of 6 16 ounce strips for the bottom proved Tonys thinking of frequent change. I think the two of us will be much more successful today if we adhere to these 2 expert hints. Happy sanding and greetings from Karl.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433