Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

How much did you strain yourself not typing "you forked it up dinglebat"?

I really don't want to use premix (because I'm stupidly stubborn) but I may need to do that on the next one.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Over the years I have made some world class screw ups so I will not throw rocks at someone for minor set backs. If your mix was correct it could be a temperature problem :doh: One good thing about having to work indoors year around is I have pretty consistent working temperatures.
All that being said it was tempting :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

We all can't be glossieblack

Yes, that's masking tape holding the breasthook in place. And yes that's glue EVERYPLACE BUT IN THE SEAM!!!

Fork me I just gave Fuzz ammo.

Fuzz, the temp did dip, but that's relative. It's 68. I'm using the same measure that I use for fast. It's only the slow that is being ... slow. I did recheck the stuff I did with slow 48jr ago, hard as a rock. It must just be that I've forget how slow slow is.

Different topic: any reason I can't mix silica and wood flour to reduce sag in the glue?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

dbcrx
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dbcrx »

Jaysen wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:31 pm And yes that's glue EVERYPLACE BUT IN THE SEAM!!!
If it's going to be painted - don't worry about it.
Jaysen wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:31 pm Different topic: any reason I can't mix silica and wood flour to reduce sag in the glue?
Nope, that's the good thing about mixing your own - mix and match as you need it.
Dave
My photo gallery:
Photobucket

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:31 pm We all can't be glossieblack

Yes, that's masking tape holding the breasthook in place. And yes that's glue EVERYPLACE BUT IN THE SEAM!!!

Different topic: any reason I can't mix silica and wood flour to reduce sag in the glue?
I am pretty sure epoxy works different down under. That is the only explanation for Glossie's work.

Silly me and here I was thinking that was a redneck anchor roller :P

Blend your fillers any way you want to get the job done.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The redneck solutions will start showing up in about 2 weeks. Much beer will need to be held. Much watching of "this" will be done. Mrs is upping the insurance payout

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

dbcrx wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 5:50 pm
Jaysen wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:31 pm And yes that's glue EVERYPLACE BUT IN THE SEAM!!!
If it's going to be painted - don't worry about it.
Jaysen wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 3:31 pm Different topic: any reason I can't mix silica and wood flour to reduce sag in the glue?
Nope, that's the good thing about mixing your own - mix and match as you need it.
Puter dummy here. how do you quote somebody, post answer, then do another quote in the same post :doh:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Use the sections below the reply and hit the quote button if it is multiple posts you are quoting.

If it is single post, you manually add the

Code: Select all

[/quote] [quote="name"] 
tags.

Ex
Fuzz in Alaska wrote:Putter dummy
Many of us are!
Fuzz but not the bear wrote:how do you
i just pretend.

I added some text to the name portion of the quote so you could see how it is done.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Bateau needs to sell a T shirt with the BBC logo and the slogan
Sand until a boat shows up -- Cracker Larry
That just happened.

Mast partner basic shaping completed. A bit of fill will need sanded and some edges eased, but ... there it is

And looking aft...

Really all that's left is filling voids and smoothing a bit.

While I'm not done, the end is very near. I should be able to get all the fillets and any glass I decide to lay on today. I'm rethinking the glass as JM build notes say nothing about glassing anything other than the hull and frames. Probably a good idea, but at this point, getting her in the water is a really good idea too.

Remaining steps for today.
1. straight epoxy a few places that got sanded through.
2. Silica fillets and gap filling
3. Rub rail touch ups (shape and a few gaps I found)
4. Glass or not
5. Start masking for primer

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Good deal! You have been on her long and hard so I am sure it is good to see it coming to an end :D

Bad part is if you get this done who am I going to have to razz :doh: :lol: