Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 pm I totally understand where you are at right now but I am afraid if you do not take the little, very little, time to address those small spots you will come to regret it. The way I know this is because that is what I did on my dory and it bugs me. :oops:
Are you talking about the spots I photo'd or the ones I mentioned to Tony?

The ones mentioned to Tony are going to be hit if this stupid call ever ends.
The ones photo'd really don't bother me. When they do... she's small enough and they are small enough that it should be a nice 2week project.

Then again, I'm a lazy turd. And they will likely be there when they use Lil Bit for my coffin.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I am only talking about those spots that bug you or SWMBO. If none of them bug you then that is all that matters.
I think there comes a time in every build that the best thing you can do is give it a rest for a little while. not too long or it will stall but a short break helps. For me that is the summer fishing season.
Plus I got a little mercenary job for my buddy with the sail boat I posted.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I hear you. I took a lot of unwanted time off over the winter. Right now it's just about "get it in the water". Same reason I bought a new motor for the toy car instead of trying to rebuilt the original. "Get it done" is the motto these days.

Are you talking the sailboat with booms? If you are, you've got to tell me more about that.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well it is a long story so I hope you do not mind the hijack

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The boat is a 53 sailboat hull set up for fishing. The mast you see is only for rigging and not sails. The side poles are for the paravines. She drafts 9 feet.Image
He and his new bride, as of 12-24-17, take off to go winter fishing the first of the year. I warned her he was Hitler on a boat but she still goes. At some point they are out in the gulf headed to the Dutch Harbour area. It is cold and wind is blowing pretty good plus the boat is making ice so they find a bay to pull into.
They dump the hook in 10 fathoms and lay out 150 fathoms of rode hoping to get a little sleep. Nope..........the wind keeps building so he is up on anchor watch. When gusts hit the boat heels enough to dip the rail and she is making 5.5 knots sideways on the GPS. He had an aluminium shelter deck over the back of the boat lighted with LED lights. A really hard gust hits them and there is a lot of banging going on and then the lights go out. He takes a spotlight and looks, no shelter deck :!: On the shelter deck was an EPERB and the life raft.
The next morning it has calmed down and he can see the Eperb on the beach. He gets as close to the beach as he can with that draft and left over swell. Now the good part :D He puts his new bride in a survival suit, ties a line around her, gives her a second line, and has her float into the beach to retrieve the Eperb. The life raft was on an automatic deploy and it never did inflate as far as he can tell. When they got home she looked at me funny when I referred to her as a Lab :lol:
So now he needs a new shelter deck. Wants to try building it out of nidacore this time. That is where I come in.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

He's lucky he's not looking for a new wife!

I can't imagine being up there, in winter, on the water, with that kind of wind. Down here in the relative tropics a 90°F day can cool off pretty quick with an ocean breeze. I'd be in hell up there.

This shelter deck, more like a pilot house but open on one end?
What are they catching and how are they storing it in a sail hull? 53' is big, but that doesn't seem big enough to be profitable.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 1:45 pm
He's lucky he's not looking for a new wife!
She sure seems to be a keeper :D
This shelter deck, more like a pilot house but open on one end?
Pretty much just that. something to keep the rain off your head.
What are they catching and how are they storing it in a sail hull? 53' is big, but that doesn't seem big enough to be profitable.
He fishes most of the year around so it varies by season. As for fish hold he boxes and freezes them on board. He can hold 40,000 pounds at a time. Seems like plenty for a two person crew :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 2:00 pmHe fishes most of the year around so it varies by season. As for fish hold he boxes and freezes them on board. He can hold 40,000 pounds at a time. Seems like plenty for a two person crew :D
Good lord... 20ton! They must have converted all but the salon to freezer. And if you don't have to pay the crew... Tell me the live on it too. They have to have a house someplace. My wife would put me in a freezer and send the boat with freezer with me straight to the bottom.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Last of primer applied. Nothing new to see so...

Will spend tonight and Friday sketching/drafting blades and rudder cassette. Hopefully something for folks to make fun of and help me perfect.

I'm hoping that this high heat and low (for us) humidity will let primer cure by Saturday. The sides outside will have 72hr as will the transom. At a minimum I should be able to get a coat on them.

But who knows.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 3:53 pm
Good lord... 20ton! They must have converted all but the salon to freezer. And if you don't have to pay the crew... Tell me the live on it too. They have to have a house someplace. My wife would put me in a freezer and send the boat with freezer with me straight to the bottom.
[/quote]

He lives next door to me. Has a nice home but he is not there much. I have known him for 40 plus years. By not home much there are 8700 hours in a year. He has been averaging 6000 hours a year on the boats main for the past 6-8 years. Only in the past few years has he had any crew. Fished by himself for a long time. Said crew was more trouble than they were worth. Great guy but like I said he can be a tad difficult when on a boat :wink: