Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Recommendations on power planers?

Use: ummm... boat building. Pretty much it.
Size: lil Bit and similar smaller boats.
Concerns: needs to be able to smoothly eat epoxy AND have commodity blades. Not concerned about brand names.

I just decided that the mast and spar are just too large to do without a power tool.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I was shopping for a power planer a while back and decided on one of the Bosch models, but I think if you're only going to give it rare use you'd be fine with an inexpensive planer. Looking at reviews on Amazon it looks like people are happy with several of the sub $100 planers- use the savings to buy rum!
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I have had one for 30 years that I do not use very often but it is sure handy when I do need it. It will eat wood/epoxy with no problem. Works really good if you glue a butt block on the wrong side :wink: I will have to look at the brand and get back to you.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I bought a Ryobi on craigslist for $20. Hardly used before I bought it and still has very little use. Gives excellent results for as little as I use it. I probably need to change the blades before I use it again. Then I can rotate between the sets every 2 years. :roll:

Worth a look in your area if you don't need it right away.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:04 pmWorks really good if you glue a butt block on the wrong side :wink:
how could you possibly know this?
BB Sig wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:42 pm Worth a look in your area if you don't need it right away.
That's my problem. I kind of want to get these things done this weekend. Should be able to glue up the sprit tonight, do shaping tomorrow, seal tomorrow night and be ready for paint sunday. That assumes I find one locally.

I'm leaning toward the cheapest one I find at a HW store. Looks like I can get a Porter Cable for ~$80 at Lowes. I'm well under the price of buying alum tube from dwyer so no need to look used.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Since it all get cut up significantly I managed a quick and sloppy glueup on the sprit and a hole fill on the mast. Hoping Mrs will be in a good mood for evening run to get planer. Not holding my breath.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I looked at mine, it is a Eula? I think that was a Black&Decker line long ago. Anyway I do not use it much but it is sure handy when I need one.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Got lucky (figuratively not literally). Porter Cable power plane sitting here about to be unboxed. If all goes well there should be some serious progress tomorrow.

Or a trip to the hospital. It's 50/50.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well that's a depressingly simple tool. Should be good to make wood chips tomorrow!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Be careful not to turn your mast, both of them, into a toothpick. Those things will remove the wood in a hurry.