Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by glossieblack »

pee wee wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 pm Now that I look at that drawing again, (I tried to do a quote with the image, but it didn't work) it seems to be saying 3" to center of hole from edge of seat, not 3" diameter . . .
Once again pee wee demonstrates that he's an astute diagnostician. He also diagnosed why ST21s were prone to droppy bow syndrome, and JM subsequently amended the plans accordingly. Well done pee wee. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well, I needed pee wee and his observation skills at the store...

It appears that 3" pvc ID is actually 3.5". Son. Of. A. Biscuit!!!!

Tomorrow evening is lost to "dance class" (please don't let fuzz think about this, please) but I will have time to get back to the store. Lunch will be contemplation of how to make a pvc tiller because ... why not? I will also rig the boat with bad sizing to get paperwork filed.

Fuzz owes us fish pics.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

PVC tiller? Why not? Why not? :roll: :lol:
This can be forgiven if it is a temporary way of getting you on the water. After that, make a laminated one like you see below for your pretty boat. Totally within your ability. Don't dishonor her with a plastic tiller.

Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:09 pm Don't dishonor her with a plastic tiller.
This is a short time solution ONLY.

Still planning the "final" rudder/tiller. I really like the idea of a cassette style lifting rudder. The tiller would be ply core (from my leftovers) with cherry lam. I'm thinking the tiller will be a complete "lift off" (like Ilsa) where the weight of the rudder locks the blade depth. I'm not likely to put a lot of sculpting effort in unless the PVC version convinces me that straight won't cut it for me.

One of the things I need to figure out is how I will pilot the boat. I'm thinking I'll be on the aft floor with a pin on each transom corner for sheet. That keeps me low under the sail, easy access to dagger, access to rudder, lots of room to shift to windward, and a ton of space to "chillax" in the breeze. I'm also thinking that will give me a better COG (fore/aft) than a using the aft seat.

The mid seat just seems to be a bad idea to me. Longer tiller needed, dagger in the way, longer sheet mess, weight a little too far forward for longer trips. Aft seat seems like I'd need a long and a short tiller and that under short trips I'd be dragging tail down. Maybe I'm missing something. Feel free to edumacate me...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:59 pm Well, I needed pee wee and his observation skills at the store...

It appears that 3" pvc ID is actually 3.5". Son. Of. A. Biscuit!!!!

Tomorrow evening is lost to "dance class" (please don't let fuzz think about this, please) but I will have time to get back to the store. Lunch will be contemplation of how to make a pvc tiller because ... why not? I will also rig the boat with bad sizing to get paperwork filed.

Fuzz owes us fish pics.
I think I would pay good money to see you in a dance class :!: So what size tutu are you wearing now days :doh:
Trust me you will get fish pictures just as soon as mother nature permits. Went to Seward Saturday with that in mind..........got blow off the water :cry: Spent the rest of the day looking over a couple of boats one of fishing partners is looking at buying. I am all for him getting another boat. The best boat ever made is one that belongs to a good buddy :D

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

PVC tiller? Whatever it takes to get on the water.
I like your upgrade, you deserve it 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Already did foxtrot
This month is Viennese Waltz.
Pics unlikely until October.
Moved down to a M on my sizes. 30 more to go!

I'm trying to figure out how many redfish trips it will take to equal one giant flounder. I'm guessing about 300 or so. I'm going to have to figure out how to get a couple of bigins into my Lil Bit of a boat to keep up with you. Going to need to talk to JM about bigger blow motor options.

Only problem with "buddy boats" is they come with buddies. I like my boats unattached. Granted attached boats are a LOT cheaper.
Last edited by Jaysen on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 pm PVC tiller? Whatever it takes to get on the water.
I like your upgrade, you deserve it 8)
Rudder is 1/2". I'm thinking remove a 1/2x7" slot from 1" pvc section 9" long. Slot term 1/2" from aft leaving 2.5" forward. 2.5" section coupler to allow longer section of 1" to extend tiller.

Trying to decide if I need to screw the 9" section to rudder or slot the top too and make it one piece lift on/off. It's all temp but there wrong and stupid wrong. I actually try to avoid stupid wrong (I know that's hard to believe but it's true).

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Someone, maybe Doc Dyer, built port and starboard benches. I think they may have been removable, can't remember, but they sure were nice. When sailing upwind you need to get your weight on the high (weather) side as you mentioned. Not sure how I would handle it with athwartship seats. I bet Jacques has a thought on this.
Also, you like to keep the boat flat, both bow to stern as well as side to side so the middle seat will be best but sitting in the bilge will also work. Again, I'd have to try it to know how well it will work with the designed configuration; but obviously people have done it.
I think the Laser-style port and starboard attachments for the traveler/sheet might work as you mention. There are images online showing this. You could also rig it like this:

This kind of stuff is really great. Setting up the boat is part learning the ballet of moving your body through a tack and jibe on different boats, and part is setting up the lines so they can be easily handled. Running rigging is always a treat to design.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Remember that I'm traditional sprit. No boom, just a sheet to the clew (crap, is that the right corner?) and a snotter to shape the sail via sprit. I was a bit skeptical of going boomless until I thought about the small size, my fat old self and how much I like not having lumps on my noggin.

The more I stare out the window and imagine a normal load, the more sitting in the bildge makes sense. I can fine tune my position for leveling hull and still be in arms reach of everything. A slight lean at worse. Even the snotter jamb cleat will be easy to get to in a hurry.

As to using the seats, there is plenty of room aft to move side to side. Mid seat forward of frame is only awkward thanks to the dagger. Plenty of room to sit with back on side. Aft of frame... nope-ity-nope-nope. No room.

If the mid and aft seats weren't structural the port/starboard bench idea would be wonderful. I'm too stupid and would push too hard in windier conditions just to see how fast she'd go with my backside keeping her upright in a hurricane. JM may have anticipated my kind of special when he designed her with the current configuration.

Based on all that it seems like aft bildge is my starting point.

Running rigging has my head spinning. The more I think about it the more I keep hearing someone say "you don't have enough experience to know what you need for what you want to do". The obvious mechanicals (tiller, stupid sized holes, etc) aside, I think I need to start "vanilla" and get experience. Once I can sail her vanilla then I look at how to improve it. Learn the basic box Waltz before a moving Waltz before the Viennese.

God I love thinking about this stuff.