Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by cape man »

Jaysen,

Sitting on the bottom does improve your center of gravity, and in your case allow you to chill out. However, you may want to consider building a small removable platform, about 1" tall that would fit down inside the space between the middle and aft benches to keep your butt out of the water. Just a small amount of water will soak your pants on a long trip making it uncomfortable. You can add it after the shake out voyages, but I have sat in the bottom of a sailing canoe and can attest to the issue of sitting for hours in just a small amount of water. Couldn't find an exact picture of what I'm thinking, but here's one of a canoe with boards in the center for standing on and the same idea of keeping things above the water.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I know what you're talking about. Was planning on something similar for two reasons...
1. Flat spot for fishing
2. Water separation

I'm familiar with "wet short syndrome" as the SOT kayaks I've been using are very wet. I was thinking that a simple cushion would suffice for trials but eventually I'll want something a bit more substantial. My plan was some 1/4" ply from BBC as decking in 1.5" strips running port to starboard and 3 support pieces cut to height for middle and 1/4 marks. That would let me stack it all up in a flat stack for storage or if it isn't good underway. It's on my "winter project if I need it" list.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Sigh. I can't seem to catch a break. Stores closed by the time I got there. Meetings over lunch. No vehicle tomorrow. It's looking more like a rope wrap solution is in my future since I have all that in my hands.

Could be worse. I could hate the look. But I don't.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

You are almost there Jaysen!! Just think about having her on the water!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not sure I can get all the wraps done for a tomorrow evening sail, but maybe... just maybe the stars will align and nothing will go wrong.

I'm sure mr Murphy just laughed...

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm I'm sure mr Murphy just laughed...
Nope............he is saving himself for that time when you suddenly find your self inverted :lol: :lol:
Rope, bushing what ever it takes to get you there. At least it will let you get the paperwork started.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Exactly. Get the paperwork started is key.

If I'm not inverted by 4th sail I'll be disappointed. Either I'm 🐓💩 and not pushing my skill or I'm under powered. I fully expect to find myself swinging. Regularly.

So there!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'll let the pics say it ...

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, Lil Bit looks ready to sail!!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:21 pm Jaysen, Lil Bit looks ready to sail!!!! Jeff
Almost.

But she's beautiful. More beautiful than I would have imagined. The neighbors agree. Everyone is hopeful for a sail tomorrow afternoon. I've already taken Friday off.