Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

I learned a lot. I have a better admiration for the design based on how she handled my stupid. I know what I need to improve technically for these types of situations (I WILL do this to myself again) md what I need to improve mentally/skills to avoid what level of stupid in the future.

juat like "puking my toe nails" (as Fuzz called it) this is just another step for me. Love every aspect of this trip so far.

Where that fresh beer? I can feel my bruises again! BEER ME!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

OH PLEASE tell me there is video evidence of all this :P

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The. Entire. Thing.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:07 pm The. Entire. Thing.
:D :D :D Make my day

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I'm really looking forward to the day when a 25mph breeze is just another day with her on the water.
OK, maybe so, but I'm definitely past hoping for 25 knot days, although we get them all the time here and I can handle them. But 25 is a whole lot for that little boat with no reef. Shoot for 10-12 for now. Even high teens would be pushing it.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 pm
I'm really looking forward to the day when a 25mph breeze is just another day with her on the water.
OK, maybe so, but I'm definitely past hoping for 25 knot days, although we get them all the time here and I can handle them. But 25 is a whole lot for that little boat with no reef. Shoot for 10-12 for now. Even high teens would be pushing it.
Tony, I know I'm crazy. And my impatience to get "on the water" was the ENTIRE problem today. I actually told the Boss "it's aweful windy... maybe I should... GO SAILING!" I knew these were bad conditions. But I really want to give it a go!

I am uploading the FULL video. Nothing cut. I did add some titles for notes. It will take a bit to upload. I will post the link once it is done.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen, I love the way you're learning to sail fast. By just doing it, making mistakes, and honestly reflecting to learn. 8)

Walk into the bar of any yacht club, and there they are. The self proclaimed sailors, and occasionally, the real deal. Ask about skin lost and lessons learnt along the way. That sorts them. The bullshit artists repeat. The real deal speak in almost hushed terms about the majestic oceans, the scrapes they've survived, the lessons learnt.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

GB, thanks for the keep me words. To be honest, I'd rather fail knowing that I honestly put it all out there with my best effort than look back and know I only gave it half my effort. I just need to learn when common sense should override ambition!

Here it is. My shame in all its glory. I hope Fuzz enjoys snorting coffee out his nose.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/1CoZJHEMo8w[/youtube]

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Gee, from the pre movie publicity, I thought something bad had happened. :roll: :lol:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The Mrs isn't the best cinematographer... starboard rubrail got the worst of it. Mast got wedged between two pilings and a dock joist. All happened in seconds. No damage to sail thank god.

When I got dumped, it was on the flounder rip which is our homage to you GB... covered in live oysters (and now a bit of my flesh). No signs of infection yet so probably all clear.

I did discover that not oarlock and oar combination is not nice. Very limited vertical motion which contributed to the rapid loss of control. Also realized that may "two lumps" mast wrap was stupid. Could not get lower section of mast out of partner (that's what happened under the dock).

Like I said in previous post, it was mostly my pride that was crushed.

Winds are looking at the upper limits right now. Going to do a few small "quick hits" then load her up and set her by the launch. I'm either thick headed and stubborn or I'm determined to sail this boat!