Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by Jaysen »

Oars wrapped. This should get me through the fishing.
IMG_4286.JPG
Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can't improve the mast partner hole bushing situation.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Sorry, I was on vacation camping in the mountains with no internet.

Mast step and partner hole: it can not be that loose but I think the building notes mention a Delrin bushing.
My intention was to have a bushing between the hole and the mast. This allows the mast to rotate like in fast dinghies.

You probably solved the "problem" but I see 118 pages of posts: I will gte back to that after I catch up with the hundreds of other questions waiting.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

JM, The partner hole was entirely my fault. I misread a 3" off set as a 3" diameter for the hole. My solution will be a 1/2" rope loop secured to the partner and graphite impregnated epoxy on the mast. My original plan of wrapping the mast with 1/2" rope works well enough but I have to rewrap regularly. If my loop works I may just leave it since the rope makes and shift in the mast very quiet (and relaxing). If it doesn't work I will replace the partner properly.

Thank you for the great design. First fishing trip planned for the weekend. Not sure it I will be sailing or rowing. Doesn't really matter though... Love the boat.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Jaysen,
On the oars: the one on the right looks great, the other perfunctory. Why's that?

On wrapping the mast or oars: you can affix the rope to the mast with epoxy. Use the slow hardener so it doesn't kick before you get it laced up.
Same with the oars. But of course, this is not so easy to remove. :?
Tony

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 am Thank you for the great design. First fishing trip planned for the weekend. Not sure it I will be sailing or rowing. Doesn't really matter though... Love the boat.
You do know I am expecting pictures of these fish you speak of :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The white wrap is not "new" on either. I noticed the wear on the left just after i finished. I will likely pull it ALL off and redo it this weekend post (hopefully) getting some fish on board.

As to using epoxy... I didn't want to do that until I am 100% on the spacing and sizing or the wraps. Same true of mast (but I'm changing the entire plan there). I do intend to use epoxy for glue on the final solution. I'm just not sure I'm there yet.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:13 pm
Jaysen wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:44 am Thank you for the great design. First fishing trip planned for the weekend. Not sure it I will be sailing or rowing. Doesn't really matter though... Love the boat.
You do know I am expecting pictures of these fish you speak of :D
I'm sure you will be disappointed. I expect to be skunked given the water clarity loss we are seeing due to rain. BUT... even if I do catch a fish, you will ask "why is he eating the bait?" I'm most likely to get into the redfish which have a slot limit down here; 16.5 - 25.5" @ 3/day/person (and since the DNT will NOT issue official rulers you have to hope to god you get someone that is reasonable when they stop you, last guy I had kept rounding up until I request a second measure from the OTHER guy on the boat). If I get flounder, my target area holds them on the small side... 16-22" @ 24/day/person (>14" legal). I think the smaller ones are a bit better to eat and since I'm not out trophy fishing...

The bigger problem this week is bait. Everyone is having to purchase bait as the weather seems to have pushed the minnows and shrimp somewhere unknown. I have a few secret spots thanks to my refusal to use a motor that never get hit for bait. If I can find the right stuff and if the rest of the bait is really gone, then just maybe there will be some hungry fish that want to visit my grill. And I promise to show you anything that I manage to get into the boat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'm prepping for fishing. Here's my idea for the "tie off line" based on Tony's "frame holes".

On the forward end I use a fig8 stopper with the working looped back and tied off with a clove. The loop+clove create a point to tie fenders.

The aft end has a bowline with a ring. The ring proves a stop for fender AND a point to stuff the sheet.

More after I feed the boss.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Nice details using appropriate knots Jaysen. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks GB.

"The wanna-be-sailor without a boat spends a lot of time with rope." -- Dr David Martin, March 2016.

That old man made me tie a different knots every time I boarded his beautiful Shannon 34. And god forbid I ever tie one wrong under sail. I swear I almost wound up in the drink several times due to bad squares on a fast reef. And now I have a lot of automatic knot tying skills thanks to him.

Now if only I had the sailing experience that you, tony and all the other "old salts" have...