Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's V12 -- 'Lil Bit' of everything fun

Post by terrulian »

Looks OK from here. You're going to have to find out "out there," as Captain Ron says.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fixed a bunch of rigging stuff. Completely relaced the sail. Bowline to mast top pin, shortened distance to throat fig8 knot, reduced the slack in the lacing, changed pace direction to keep sail on opposite side of sprit, corrected tack fig8, created a mast loop for tack, and set up better down haul to keep tension on the luff instead of the lacing. Didn't get pictures of that but much better leading edge on the sail.

Had to reset the snotter block to get the angle and tension directed better. The changes to lacing altered the overall height and position of the sail by several inches.

Went to West Marine. My wallet cried. Loudly. Found some small nylon blocks for the snotter and sail down haul.

Found a cleat that I liked for the anchor and tie off of "things".

I'd been thinking about how to do the mast mess betterer. My wrap on the mast worked well but tended to separate. I took a longish think while rewrapping the mast and figure I could put a loop of rope IN the partner. You know what? You can! The ends of the loop are aligned aft and secured with 1" screws. The front quarters are also screwed down. Mast rotates freely. Slides in and out freely.

And here we are ready (and hoping) to add to the fishing thread tomorrow. We shall see. We shall see.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 pm Now if only I had the sailing experience that you, tony and all the other "old salts" have...
Us coastal sailors are not in the same league as round the world sailors like Tony. They are a class apart. 8)
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

GlossieBlack me thinks you are selling yourself short just a tad. :wink:

What I want to see is will Jaysen or the fish spend more time in the water :doh: :lol: :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 pm GlossieBlack me thinks you are selling yourself short just a tad. :wink:
Yeah. Next he'll be saying skinnydip is a "work boat" build.
Fuzz wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 pm What I want to see is will Jaysen or the fish spend more time in the water :doh: :lol: :lol:
I give it a 50/50.

I would point out that green thing on the aft seat... life jacket. A real one. I'll be out in waters up to 60' deep "learning" and with several miles between shores. That sucker won't be sitting on the seat, it will be tightly attached to my person.

Luckily the best fishing for me is in the shallow water (< 3') so I'll be able to relax when it's time to get down to business.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Jaysen,
Not only are your solutions to these issues very clever, they're beautiful. I have a weakness for this stuff.
Great work!
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks tony!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, innovative but really looks cool as well!! Nicely done!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks Jeff.

The v12 can do Big water. Out there it's about 2' &8sec but the wind picked up to 15kn. Had a jibe earlier that nearly put me over but managed to drop sheet and saved it. Changed shorts after. Here she is stopped for lunch about 2mi from home and just inside the waves.
IMG_4305.JPG
Someday I may learn. Don't hold your breath.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very cool Jaysen!!!! Lil Bit sails!!! Jeff