ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Fuzz »

Makes me feel much better about myself knowing you two guys also find stuff you did not know you had :roll:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Cut and installed mounting blocks in the aft locker for some of the smaller components of the e-motor drive system. Each block is 1" thick. When the aft deck is installed, they’ll be fully protected from the weather.

The first pic shows the mounting block for the e-motor controller’s starting relay, the second for the 48V battery bank’s 240V charger, the third for 48V battery bank monitor’s shunt relay, and for a number of junction boxes.

Just a nibble at the elephant today. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

While re-organising and cleaning up the shed, I’ve been doing the same to my thinking on how I’m going to finish this build.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to sea trial a partially built boat as soon as safely practical, so that I can evaluate functionality and performance, and make modifications as required before final fairing and painting.

It feels as though there are too many variables involved in the partially experimental hybrid drive system for this neophyte builder to have the confidence to proceed to final fairing and painting with any degree of confidence. And will she need spray rails?

On balance, build changes resulting from sea trial learnings are likely, so why finally fair or paint beforehand?

The question then becomes what constitutes this partially built boat?

My current thinking is that it can be undecked, thus allowing easy access to required modifications, but that most other things need to be in place.

Comment appreciated ..... :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Glossie, For what it's worth I think that is a good plan. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I'd fair the outside of the hull and prime with S3. Then trial. What are the chances you will need to change the exterior? Spray rails ... nothing else.

Other than that... if she's safe... get her wet!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

As soon as you think the steering and power system will work I would give it a try. For fuel you should be able to run it from a 5 gallon can or even smaller. Just drop the pickup and return lines in the bucket and go for a drive. :D you have a lot more variables in play that most builds. It would be reassuring to know that all is well.

cape man

Post by cape man »

One that floats and has all the needed power and controls in place to run a realistic trial.

With those lines she'll still be sight to behold, and maybe you'll just stop there and leave it as is 8) 8)

After all she's nothing more than an oyster scow and a camping platform... :D
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:06 pm
After all she's nothing more than an oyster scow and a camping platform... :D
Now that right there is some funny stuff :lol:

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

Looks like you're going to have the world's nicest oyster scow.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hell why not. It's the way they did it in the old days. Get every system up and running and dry tested at the dock then do a short cruise around the harbor or up and down your river. Adjust things if you need to and take another cruise make a fun day of it! :D Make sure the Harbor Police are not going to jump down your arse. One of the guys suggested priming the bottom I would do that even if you don't do any fairing. Fairing compound will go over the primer. You can sand the primer off if you get into any oil or other nastiness. One caveat make sure you have a buddy that can tow you back in case something goes wrong. :lol: :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978