FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by OrangeQuest »

I think I know why it is milky....It's 12 oz tape instead of 6oz. !! 8O Plans call for 6 oz.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 pm I think I know why it is milky....It's 12 oz tape instead of 6oz. !! 8O Plans call for 6 oz.
There worse places than the transom to have extra glass :wink:

If your weather is too bad I might be willing to trade you :D

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 am
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 pm I think I know why it is milky....It's 12 oz tape instead of 6oz. !! 8O Plans call for 6 oz.
There worse places than the transom to have extra glass :wink:If your weather is too bad I might be willing to trade you :D
No No No!! Just Friday whining, had to cancel all tours for the weekend. I am NOT a cold weather person, shorts and flip flops for me.

Was worried about why the tape was milky and I wanted to double check the schedule and noticed the plans said 6oz tape. I got two rolls of tape when we got the hull and never noticed the thickness of either. Then my administrator came out to the workshop and said "this roll looks like 6oz and the one you are using is 12oz." I looked at her and agreed! She gave me that "there is your answer" look and walked back into her office. I was thinking 12oz tape and 6oz glass.... But that is backwards! :oops: Can you tell it's my 1st time? :oops: :oops:

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Ok. This is going to be hard to explain this and I may have to post pictures of my idea but here I go, I would like feed back on you guys that have seen a lot of skiffs and tell me if this is to far out there.

I made a pattern for the stringer, just the back where the knee is, to go all the way up to the highest point of the transom. It will be the sides of the splash well. The well goes forward about 14" where there will be a frame for the back of the well and to form a seat back for the aft bench. Instead of having what would look like a 3 sided box sticking up in front of the motor I would like to add a "washboard?" Deck on each side of the splash well, following the same angle as the transom to the side of the boat. Then the gunwale will be at the same slight angle to the bow. With a half round bead for a drip rail. It will be at a 3 or 4 degree angle outward. I will try to get a sample picture when I get to work today.

Note: It will get a sole and the rear bench will be 12 inches shorter but frames will be added under the sole to be about 24" apart.

Thoughts? It will not hurt my feelings if everyone thinks I'm crazy. I have been married twice so I have been called worse. :)

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Will this look something like the stern of the LB22 that was just posted in the finished section? If so I think it will look good.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 am Will this look something like the stern of the LB22 that was just posted in the finished section? If so I think it will look good.
Yes....But the motor will be mounted on the very back. The hatch at the side of the motor and the slight angle of them and the gunwale would be what I would like. Then the half round drip rail would give it a clean look and strength. I don't know where I got the half round drip rail idea from! :wink:

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Was hoping to get more feedback on this change in design, maybe more pictures could help visualize it. The first picture see the deck on each side of the motor well and it flows into the gunwales, even has the round edge. front deck will not be that high.
But not flat to trap any water on the decks but slopping, gently to the sides like this picture.

Then there will be a 16" bench seat, the live well and bait well will be under it. Plans call for the frames to maintain 36" spacing but we will be at 24" under the sole. Side braces (in wales?) every 36" above the sole.

Going to start making the stringers this week.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

OrangeQuest wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:09 am Was hoping to get more feedback on this change in design, maybe more pictures could help visualize it. The first picture see the deck on each side of the motor well and it flows into the gunwales, even has the round edge. front deck will not be that high.
But not flat to trap any water on the decks but slopping, gently to the sides like this picture.

Then there will be a 16" bench seat, the live well and bait well will be under it. Plans call for the frames to maintain 36" spacing but we will be at 24" under the sole. Side braces (in wales?) every 36" above the sole.

Going to start making the stringers this week.
Both are very nice setups. There will be a lot more weight. The top one has the open cockpit like my boat.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I like the looks of that very much.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thank you Fuzz and Capt UB for the feedback,

Capt UB, did you notice the one that looks like an FS14 is remote steer? As far as the extra weight, it will come from the sole, center console and the gunwale. It has been an issue even before buying the plans. I just hope it floats after I'm in it! These little decks on the side of the motor well is just some of the aft deck raised. My boat will also be an open area behind the console, I think it measured 7.5 feet even after moving the bow deck back a foot. Jacques M. said to maintain the frames no more than 36" apart and I think they will be 24"-28"

This month's budget will be more epoxy, 6oz tape color pigment and 4oz cloth.