GF16 runners and splash rail question?

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GF16 runners and splash rail question?

Post by piperdown »

txjm wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:26 pm pics
I was actually putting a set in the runners while I was gluing the spray rails on. I did one spray rail at a time and then the runners. the ratchet straps were real tight.
Chip

One more quick question for you. Are those brackets for the splash rail all the same length? That looks like a real good idea for keeping them in place while the epoxy sets.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

txjm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by txjm »

Yes. They are all the same size. The dim is like 10” down from the top. I don’t think the note was specific on 10” down to the top of the rail, middle of the rail or bottom of the rail so I just kinda hit mid point.

From a previous question, I used the dimensions specified in the plans for the size of the rails and runners. I cut from clear (relatively) dimensional lumber.

Chip

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

txjm wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:16 am Yes. They are all the same size. The dim is like 10” down from the top. I don’t think the note was specific on 10” down to the top of the rail, middle of the rail or bottom of the rail so I just kinda hit mid point.

From a previous question, I used the dimensions specified in the plans for the size of the rails and runners. I cut from clear (relatively) dimensional lumber.

Chip
Much appreciated!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I rounded them off with a router and screwed them down. Then I filled the screw holes with wood flour and glassed over them.
I believe I used 12' pieces as thats all Lowes had that was decent. I mitered the joints no worries...
Gary
GF-16 Completed

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Noles309 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:15 am I rounded them off with a router and screwed them down. Then I filled the screw holes with wood flour and glassed over them.
I believe I used 12' pieces as thats all Lowes had that was decent. I mitered the joints no worries...
Thanks Gary!

I was wondering about routing the them.
I'm taking it you mitered the side splash rail correct? I think 12' would be long enough for the runners but was thinking it would be too short for the splash rails.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I actually mitered both. I don't remember why I mitered the runners. :roll:

I routered the top edge of the side rails and both edges of the runners.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

This is Cracker Larry's GF16 with me in it, if you can tell where his splash rails are on it. I think 12' would be fine for the splash rails also. We are going about 20mph there. But they have to look good to you so use your own judgement. The only other one I have of his is blocked by a mooring post.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... play_media

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Found a new one of CL boat and spray rail.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:48 am This is Cracker Larry's GF16 with me in it, if you can tell where his splash rails are on it. I think 12' would be fine for the splash rails also. We are going about 20mph there. But they have to look good to you so use your own judgement. The only other one I have of his is blocked by a mooring post.

Tom
This link doesn't work, at least for me.
TomW1 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:44 am Found a new one of CL boat and spray rail.

Tom
This link worked. Man, that's a nice boat. Appears CL did the 10" drop as listed on the plans from the bottom of the rub rail?. Is the sheer the top?
That's actually what is specified in the plans. 10" downset from the sheer. Still learning these nautical terms.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

piperdown wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am
TomW1 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:48 am This is Cracker Larry's GF16 with me in it, if you can tell where his splash rails are on it. I think 12' would be fine for the splash rails also. We are going about 20mph there. But they have to look good to you so use your own judgement. The only other one I have of his is blocked by a mooring post.

Tom
This link doesn't work, at least for me.
TomW1 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:44 am Found a new one of CL boat and spray rail.

Tom
This link worked. Man, that's a nice boat. Appears CL did the 10" drop as listed on the plans from the bottom of the rub rail?. Is the sheer the top?
That's actually what is specified in the plans. 10" downset from the sheer. Still learning these nautical terms.
Yes the sheer is the top of the side. Some boats will have a side deck other small boats will not. This is a good set of definitions from another designer that can help you. http://www.glen-l.com/resources/glossary.html

Tom