Topwaters NV23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Topwaters NV23

Post by blueflood »

Hi John, hope all is well with the boat now that you have had some time to use it. How are the windows working out ?

Still on my build and need input. Your motor controller seat - what thickness have you built it to ? I will be using the OEM Mercury control which is still quite large for my 9.9 HP (12" long x 7" high plus the "T" handle sticking up from that). I did not buy it yet but am building the seat at this time. Because the cabin sides angle inboard, I suspect the T handle will rub on the cabin internal side if it's not thick enough. Right now, the seat thickness is 3/4" ply to be glued to the 3/4" coaming much like what you did on yours.

p.s. You have used Monstaliner; does 5200 bond to it no problem ? What about silicone ? Kiwi Grip sticks, I recall that one...

Marc

topwater

Post by topwater »

Blueflood the boat is going great and the windshield works excellent. The vinyl roll up side curtains i take off
and leave at my dock because its hotter than hell here in the summer. I wish i had them a few times when i
got caught in thunder storms .. :wink: As far as stuff sticking to Monstaliner you will have to test. I know
Kiwi Gripe will not stick to it as for 5200 i dont know because i didnt use it on any deck fittings .Silicone
i dont use on my boat. What i did use is Boat Life Life Seal which is a hybrid caulking compound , i like
this stuff alot . What i did is trace with a pencil the out line of what ever i was bedding down on to the
Monsataliner and rough it up with some sand paper , wipe it down then bed it . worked well for me.
The only stuff i have found so far that will stick to it with out prep is Weld Mount 4020 Acrylic adhesive.
This stuff is crazy strong :!: I used this and weld Mount zip tie bases for all my wiring , steering hoses,
wire harness any thing i wanted to stick to the hull . It saved a ton of time , no drilling and filling , no waiting
dry time. Half strength in 10 min which i think is 100 LB . Check it out its not cheap but i use it for every thing.

John
Novi 23 finally launched !

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi John,

Thanks for this...one thing you skipped over...the outboard controller :lol: :doh:
Marc

topwater

Post by topwater »

Blueflood my mercury controller came with a 1/4" or a 1/2" spacer for the back of the controller.
I ended up not using it and built my own spacer from a piece of 1/2" white starboard. You kind of
have to look at at it when you get it to see what angle and spacing you will need . If you end up with
the same controller that i have i will give you the factory spacer that came with it and you could do
something with that. Let me know i'll mail it up to you.

John

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Topwater, Great to see that you have been recognised as a 'Bateau Builder - Expert'. You've built a beautiful Novi 23 and you give great advice. Thanks. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

topwater

Post by topwater »

Thanks for the vote of confidence Glossieblack . Us cloofs have to stick together :wink:

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi John,
8) hey cool ! Promoted :D

Marc

FinsUp
New Poster
New Poster

Post by FinsUp »

What a beautiful boat. Great job.

Tom S.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tom S. »

Hey topwater couple of quick questions:
1) how is your transducer working out are you happy with it? Did that location work ? I’m at the point where it would be time to pick an area and glass it. Yours was the first I’ve seen and it’s looks like a great idea.
2) I also have some purpleheart I was thinking of for a keel was there a particular reason that you changed your mind ?
Thanks Tom

topwater

Post by topwater »

Tom the transducer location works perfectly no problems and no spray . The purple heat skeg ended up with a warp in
it , i don't know why and it was easier to build a new one out of some scrap 1/2" marine ply i had laying around.
When i put it on the hull i glassed it with 12 OZ glass. Tom where do you live in Mass :?: I lived there for 48 years.