Skoota 36 Questions

Questions and Answers about the Woods Designs, multihulls and others.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Skoota 36 Questions

Post by narfi »

Thinking/dreaming two projects down the road (starting 3-10 years from now) but will be building my shop in the near future and want to future proof it as much as possible.
How large (small?) of a door will it fit through?
With and without the upper structure?
I see you have one builder scaled up to 40ft, what size door needed with those modifications?
Was the scaling a 'simple' 10% across the board to everytihng, or were there more complex changes needed?

He stopped updating his blog 2 years ago and besides Fallguy's Skoota 32 here, I don't see a lot of information online. Did he ever finish?
Basic Materials list for the complete shell (a more complete list will be drawn up after completion of the first boat)

total 35 sheets x 6mm, 90 sheets x 9mm, 13 sheets x 12mm

As you can appreciate, it is really hard to estimate epoxy use. I estimate 240kgs (60gals) epoxy and 240m (250yds) of 1.3m (50in) wide (standard width) 200g 6oz glass

1400m 1in x 1in equivalent (800 board feet)

Maybe 10,000 1in x no6 CS stainless steel screws
I see he did a lot of foam cored plywood composite, but I don't see the foam in your list of supplies, have you ever gotten a more complete list drawn up?

I live in a rather primitive area (for north america), is the main structure strong enough to lift the hulls if a hydrolic trailer was made that would fit between the hulls? (to move it 1 mile over gravel to the water and back for winter storage)

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Skoota 36 Questions

Post by fallguy1000 »

narfi wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:25 am Thinking/dreaming two projects down the road (starting 3-10 years from now) but will be building my shop in the near future and want to future proof it as much as possible.
How large (small?) of a door will it fit through?
With and without the upper structure?
I see you have one builder scaled up to 40ft, what size door needed with those modifications?
Was the scaling a 'simple' 10% across the board to everytihng, or were there more complex changes needed?

He stopped updating his blog 2 years ago and besides Fallguy's Skoota 32 here, I don't see a lot of information online. Did he ever finish?
Basic Materials list for the complete shell (a more complete list will be drawn up after completion of the first boat)

total 35 sheets x 6mm, 90 sheets x 9mm, 13 sheets x 12mm

As you can appreciate, it is really hard to estimate epoxy use. I estimate 240kgs (60gals) epoxy and 240m (250yds) of 1.3m (50in) wide (standard width) 200g 6oz glass

1400m 1in x 1in equivalent (800 board feet)

Maybe 10,000 1in x no6 CS stainless steel screws
I see he did a lot of foam cored plywood composite, but I don't see the foam in your list of supplies, have you ever gotten a more complete list drawn up?

I live in a rather primitive area (for north america), is the main structure strong enough to lift the hulls if a hydrolic trailer was made that would fit between the hulls? (to move it 1 mile over gravel to the water and back for winter storage)
I don't answer for Richard on all matters. The 40' extension was not a scaled deal from what I recall, but added to the end to increase the L. The l/b is an important number in a cat that translates to speed and efficiency.

Your trailer would work fine if you can get under the beams. This I don't know. Otherwise there is a possibility the hudraulic trailer could cradle under. A definite Richard question. Woodsdesigns@gmail.com

Richard underestimates. Foam is super nice for stuff above because you get thermal barriers..same with cabin walls..and quieter and less likely to condensate. And you can also use vacuum and build ultralight. It is especially nice if you have a sense that you might be heavy here or there. I am heavy to starboard, so hoping to cut weight there..

The english blogger with the 40 footer died per Richard. No idea the status of the boat.

As to vertical height. Oh boy. That is tricky. My Skoota 32 has no flybridge, bit you could flybridge the 36. So a lot depends on the build plan. My air draft is like 13 feet all in; discounting radar. If you flybridge with standing deck and hardtop; 18 feet at least. But you could probably build to 16 feet and finishe the flybridge top outside to save on 20 foot door heights.

Email Richard for better support. It is a nice boat. Plan on 5 years to build solo; perhaps a bit less if you have good help. Getting your kid onboard and even doing some initiative stuff might help. I can't get that from my college boys. They will help, but never, 'I want to do the galley'.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

That is a great boat. I'd plan for 90 horsepower engines or perhaps 115s if similar weight class. I might be done with it or close, but it would cost me like $35000 to move it to Seattle or Miami.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Ill send Richard an email, thanks for the info :)

Too bad about the guy in England, I really enjoyed his meticulous log.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Narfi are you thinking of running it down the river at some point?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

probably not down the river, but portaging it for one or two bucketlist expeditions yes. (havent completely sold the wife on it yet though :P )

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

narfi wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:37 pm probably not down the river, but portaging it for one or two bucketlist expeditions yes. (havent completely sold the wife on it yet though :P )
Probably a good thing to point out these are break even boats. You should be able to recover your financial imputs. Perhaps not the labor is all.

I underestimated epoxy by half, but my build is epoxy abusive. Underestimated metal. Underestimated paint. I figured about 100,000 to build my boat. Gonna miss by 50,000. Hoping it doesn't sink too far with all that gold onboard! I wouod say instead of a 15% miscellaneous; use 30%. I budgeted 17000 for engines; those are going to come in at 21,000 because I raised the horsepower; added jackplates and added ycop. So, my 15% is like 19,300 instead of 30% would have been 22400 which would cover a couple stainless props..

My wife said with all my overages, we'd have to row, and I was glad. I told her I'd need 15 bikini clad women per side. She decided the engines were okay.