Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Post by narfi »

Purchased plans for my next project this week.....

http://www.zenithair.net/introduction-c ... uper-duty/

$650 for the plans
$289 for a bunch of different how to videos from a 3rd party that comes recommended by the company.

Total time spent building so far: 0 hours
Total cost so far: $939

A very different project to most here and not a bateau design, however it may be interesting to some here and I want to stay a part of the community until the next project after which I expect will be a design from here.

Zenith 750 STOL was developed from their 701 model, and the 750 Super Duty is developed further then from that.
They have been selling matched hole cnc cut kits for a couple years now, but haven't finished the scratch built plans yet, they expect to be done this winter.
They are sending me the assembly drawings and the blueprints for what is done so far to get me started. I will start building parts and then finish the rest once they have them finished.
We are still in the tent, but plan to build a heated shop next spring, so it will be slow going till next fall when I hope we will be going full speed on the project.

The plane is all aluminum which I am quite familiar with having worked with it my whole carrier, just never forming and making new pieces.
I think it is going to be a lot of fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCL3u-t6vcY

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Narfi's Zenith CH750 Super Duty

Post by BB Sig »

Awesome project! Keep us updated!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Living where you do I would think having a plane is mandatory. That will be a great project.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Saw this one coming... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Narfi, please stay on our Forum with this build!!! I will really enjoy watching the build of your plane!!!! Jeff

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

One of my favorite homebuilt designs/series. Do they not offer the 801 any longer?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Looks like a separate website...

http://www.zenair801.info

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Gotcha; I'd forgotten the 801 was kit only.

I've got most of the parts needed to assemble Bearhawk wings fabricated and still in my shop; got sidetracked and have mostly lost interest in flying at this point.

Edit; I seem to recall that the CH designs were mostly/all made from 6061 instead of 2024 aluminum, is that still true of the 750SD? Also, will you be doing the pop rivet thing or using real rivets? :lol:

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

The bearhawk is a great choice, if it was just me it might have been at the top of my list but landon wouldn't be able to weld up the fuselage. (There is a steel cage around the zenith cockpit but it doesn't look or feel like a large part of the plane which I want landon involved with)

Yup it took me some time to get comfortable with the idea of Artex rivets, but it is designed for them and so structuraly they will be fine. It is actually part of the reason for choosing the zenith as well..... it will allow Landon to be more involved with the build and assembly.