Trawler 28 question (tw28). How to get from build to trailer

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Trawler 28 question (tw28). How to get from build to trailer

Post by MageDK »

Hello all. I am looking to build the trawler 28 and right now I am doing a bunch of research on the steps and costs involved. One question I was thinking of is how do you get the boat into a trailer once it’s built? Especially one as large as the trawler 28. What step do I move it from the cradle to the trailer? Should I have a trailer ready as soon as I flip the hull? Is there a down side to building it while it’s on the trailer?
Check out my Trawler 28 build viewtopic.php?t=66261.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Trawler 28 question (tw28). How to get from build to trailer

Post by Fuzz »

Building a boat that big is going to take some time. Most likely longer than you plan on so the chances are at some point you are going to want to move it but maybe not just depends on your situation. You will need a large trailer and they are not cheap. You might be better off just hiring it moved. If you hire it moved most times they come with a hydraulic trailer so getting it on the trailer is easy peasy. As for jacking up a larger boat and sliding it on a trailer it is not really any harder than messing with smaller boats. I do it with 32 foot boats pretty often and they are easier than a lot of 20 foot boats.

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:30 pm Building a boat that big is going to take some time. Most likely longer than you plan on so the chances are at some point you are going to want to move it but maybe not just depends on your situation. You will need a large trailer and they are not cheap. You might be better off just hiring it moved. If you hire it moved most times they come with a hydraulic trailer so getting it on the trailer is easy peasy. As for jacking up a larger boat and sliding it on a trailer it is not really any harder than messing with smaller boats. I do it with 32 foot boats pretty often and they are easier than a lot of 20 foot boats.
I am planning on about 2 years of work from start to finish. I figure at least one year to get the hull, basic cabin, and basic systems in place (engine, navigation) so that I can at least splash her and do some sea trials. Then the last year will be installing the rest of the systems on board like the head, galley, cabinetry and other systems like solar, auto pilot, etc. I figured that for those initial sea trials I would need a trailer to get the boat in and out of the water so I can bring her back home and keep working on her. I can't imagine it is cheap to hire someone to move a boat. Although I haven't really looked into it.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Finish the bottom and sides (including stringers and bulkheads) and back the trailer up to the bow. Muscle and a good winch will do it. Finish the insides on the trailer.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MageDK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MageDK »

cape man wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:30 am Finish the bottom and sides (including stringers and bulkheads) and back the trailer up to the bow. Muscle and a good winch will do it. Finish the insides on the trailer.
sounds like a good plan. thanks!