WouldWork's D5 Build Northern Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: WouldWork's D5 Build Northern Australia

Post by WouldWork »

but you would also benefit from a bit of gap between hull panels
Thanks Hank - and yep, matchsticks will be put under the panels that sit a little too flush to give a bit of gap for resin to flow into when I do the 'spot welding'. They'll come out with the zip ties when I move on to seams/glassing. Should leave me with a pretty even fillet right round when I get to that. Like you say, probably not entirely necessary on such a small boat but I rather it done right. I know Cracker Larry is watching so no skimping. :lol:

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Resin and glass turned up today so I bought some gloves and masks and got busy.

Taped up with gaff, primed with resin and tacked with thickened resin. Spent some time scraping excesses away to save on sanding. Not my neatest work ever but not too bad.

Remove the tape and zip ties in the morning, see how it kicked then re-tape tomorrow night and start some fillets and glass.

Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

As per my thread in 'Resins' section I am discontinuing this build for now.

Unfortunately the resin I ordered was seemingly mis-labelled with the Part A bottle having Part B labels and vice versa.

The resin has not cured and I am not confident that I can successfully disassemble and clean the ply to start again, so unfortunately the build is on hold until further notice. The resin cured enough that it held the panels together without the zip ties but it is not hard, not properly cured and definitely not sea-worthy. I can't pull the panels apart as it's stuck enough the be splintering the ply whilst doing so. I would literally have to saw all the panels along the seams to get them apart without damage and then commence the clean up of the resin and start again. Right now I'm not feeling it so the boat is on hold.

I'm just glad I wasn't half way through a big build.... (Glad also that I hadn't yet bought the electric motor and deep cycle battery - was going to buy them this weekend.)

Bitterly disappointed, but these things happen, sorry to the interested followers of this thread.

Thanks

Cam.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

That really sucks.

Normally I'd say that scraping and planing would work, along with acetone. But it depends on how much mess there is. It might be better to start over. Alternatively if it's just the fillets holding the panels and you haven't coated all the wood you might consider just taping over. The fillets main job is to provide a nice radius for the glass to go round, they do not need to actually bond the panels 100%. So if it were mine, and the glue is just what I can see there on the last photo, I'd take off what I could then a bigger fillet on top and tape over. If you've coated all the surface then discarding might be the easier option.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

You can't plan for that kind of mess up. You have my commiserations. What a total sickener...

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.