Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Congratulations sir, beautiful work!
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:56 am Is that a floatation effort or stability effort?
Oh, this thing is stable, but the bows are low; about 5" below waterline, which sucks because Epifanes blisters under immersion, so today, gonna see if I can get the sandbags and livewell filled and get the up.

The water tanks need to be moved as well.

Early on in the build, I laid all the battens on the female form iinstead of notching each female station. This made the hulls 1.5" narrower. I wish Richard had to me, no, you can't do that idiot. But he said 'I suppose' it will be okay. Now, this is not the only thing I did wrong. I shifted the windows forward for a sleeker look. I put too fn big an aluminum tube for netting beam. I have too much weight in the settee components. I have the water tanks too far forward under the settee. I have a diesel tank for heating system too far forward. The list of errors that shifted com forward is large. Much of this is correctable, but not in the next 3 weeks.

I can also add 4" extensions to the engines and move them back and that is a good moment.

But all these efforts are not going to be enough. As soon as me and Mrs head up to the bunk to sleep; we are going to sink the boat out of balance. A bulbous bow would increase efficiency, too, as it extends the boat.

The netting beam and fixtures are over 50 pounds; making them carbon would be a weight loss of probably at least 30 pounds forward..and give me a change to add a bridle hook.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Aripeka Angler wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 am Congratulations sir, beautiful work!
Thanks Richard.

Did anyone on the forum have hurricane impacts?

My buddy has a house in Cape Coral and he said there was 6" of water in the house, but it survived the horrible winds.

Cayo Costa is or was one of the loviest islands in Florida. I heard there isn't much left of it.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:41 am
Aripeka Angler wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 am Congratulations sir, beautiful work!
Thanks Richard.

Did anyone on the forum have hurricane impacts?

My buddy has a house in Cape Coral and he said there was 6" of water in the house, but it survived the horrible winds.
Cayo Costa is or was one of the loviest islands in Florida. I heard there isn't much left of it.
Topwater John has a place down there as well as a home up north if nothing has changed. I texted Wadestep last night to check on him and he has not replied. They would both be near ground zero for the worst winds. I’ve got a good friend who is hauling a load of supplies to Fort Myers right now. GPS has about 3 pages of redirects to avoid flooding and other hazards.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

2871FB45-653C-46A4-BD29-036DD70A318D.jpeg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:14 pm Anyone know why Yamaha lists WOT as a range 5000-6000?Is it 6000?D

Dan just got in from our 1st day of driving and dinner. Will get back to you on this and several other things on Monday after a nice rest in my own bed, :) Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Depending on the prop you are using you can have a range of 5000 to 6000 at WOT. At the lower end you are not lugging the engine and at the upper end you are reaching the Rev limits. By myself my 70 turns 5600. With a heavy load I'm turning 5100. I could increase that by dropping another inch or two in prop pitch but since I'm in the range I'm satisfied.

If at WOT you can't get 5000 your prop is too big and likewise if your turning over 6000 your prop is too small.

Hope that helps. The boat looks great tied up. If you're 5" deep at the bow, where is the stern waterline?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I had her up around 5800 yesterday with the throttle all the way up. I'd say I've landed perfectly with the props I bought!

They were just humming....

Gotta deal with the splash. The water is parting off the bottom and coming up and hitting the engine and jackplate higher. But I am putting 4" extensions on the plate and after that, I need to fab a custom water deflector per the jackplate builder.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I've been out of pocket and am late to the party. That last pic is fantastic and it's amazing what you have done. The balance stuff will be well handled by you. I can't congratulate you enough and look forward to you moving to Texas.

Dougster

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulation FG!!!! Great build!!! Jeff