Batten length.

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bigmccc
New Poster
New Poster

Batten length.

Post by Bigmccc »

Hello all - I am building a Woods CHAT 18. I have joined plywood sheets together to form 18.5 feet panels, I have lofted the points onto the panels, and placed brads at the appropriate points. I am ready to draw fair lines. My question is since the lines I will be drawing will be just over 18 feet, does that mean I need to use an 18 foot batten? or can I use a shorter piece and just move it along the points to construct a fair line?
Thanks

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Batten length.

Post by fallguy1000 »

Bigmccc wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:59 pm Hello all - I am building a Woods CHAT 18. I have joined plywood sheets together to form 18.5 feet panels, I have lofted the points onto the panels, and placed brads at the appropriate points. I am ready to draw fair lines. My question is since the lines I will be drawing will be just over 18 feet, does that mean I need to use an 18 foot batten? or can I use a shorter piece and just move it along the points to construct a fair line?
Thanks
You can move it, but too short is not good. I would think 8' minimum, maybe 6' with brads. Good luck. I would love to see some pics.

Any wee bits of unevenness will wash out when you glue the panels.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495