Removing a bad batch of epoxy

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Removing a bad batch of epoxy

Post by OrangeQuest »

If you are still in the scrapping stage of removal, then use a vinegar/dawn soap mix to help keep the gunk from sticking to the scrapper and it will be more effective.

The hardest part is going to get out the epoxy that soaked down into the wood so any new epoxy will stick and bond.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Once the epoxy has been removed from the surface I'd scrub the area with acetone or MEK. What a pain!
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I bet you will not let it happen again! So a little good will come from this :wink:

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:50 am If you are still in the scrapping stage of removal, then use a vinegar/dawn soap mix to help keep the gunk from sticking to the scrapper and it will be more effective.

The hardest part is going to get out the epoxy that soaked down into the wood so any new epoxy will stick and bond.
If that's a concern, and especially on a small but critical area, I'd get out the grinder and a 36 grit. Remove the top layer of plywood and build up with some extra glass. Larger areas acetone, and then give it a week or so before trying again.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Basically, didn’t have much luck with any of the chemicals. Ended up using a grinder with a wire wheel, then wiping down with laquer thinner and following with 50 grit paper.

Also seemed to help that it was really cold. The bad epoxy firmed up a lot when it was cold, so made it a point of doing it early on a morning when it was right at freezing.

It did gouge into the wood and a few small places that had been glasses previously, but in general didn’t cause as much collateral damage as I thought it might.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Say ‘hello’ to my little friend.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I just had to remove a piece I glued in and realized it was in the wrong place, had to remove a 3' piece, I caught it just at the soft but not yielding stage of curing. Took my multitool with a straight 1.5" wide blade and started cutting it off. The epoxy just wanted to gum up and cutting was very slow. So I dipped a small sponge brush into vinegar and painted where I was cutting. The blade started cutting like butter without gumming up and was a lot easier to remove. All the remaining glue, I just used the blade and vinegar and scraped down to the neat epoxy that was below. You can't tell I screwed up at all. The blade was old and dull, the vinegar acted as a lube to keep the gunk from sticking to it. Maybe something to consider in the future if the need arises again.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Good one, Orange. Hopefully I never need that information. :)

Jbo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo did you get your epoxy repaired. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I got all the goop off, but cold got here before I could go back over with good stuff. Looks like it will be spring before I I can finish the repair.

Thanks for checking in.

Jbo