No Excuse

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: No Excuse

Post by cape man »

32883.jpeg
2 coats of primer. They're going for at least 3.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

32906.jpeg
32905.jpeg
32897.jpeg
32898.jpeg
32900.jpeg
32901.jpeg
I think they got this!
Attachments
32904.jpeg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Sweet 8)
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cape man

Post by cape man »

They're going for a third coat tomorrow.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Very nice.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Really nice progress Cape Man!!! Jeff

Rogerdog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerdog »

Congratulations Cape Man. No Excuse was the boat the drew me in years ago and started my conversation with Larry to build my GF18. There is a great photo of No Excuse taken from the water that focuses on about the same place as the orca / lobster scratch on the side.

No Excuse was always ready to go. We had to have a LEO look at the GF18 to get a hull id number. While the deputy was at Larry's house (I think he was there for a couple of hours telling stories and shooting Larry's pistol), No Excuse was under a pole tarp like the one you have. The deputy told Larry that their search and rescue boat coverage on that part of the Savannah River was deplorable, and they had rescue needs that they couldn't meet. Larry told him No Excuse is always ready to go, and he's mostly at the house. Larry gave him his phone number.

Within a few weeks, Larry got a call or door knock at a crazy early time of the morning. A motorist had stopped to assist someone who's had an accident on the I-95 bridge. He was standing there when another vehicle was barreling at him. Rather than be hit by the other vehicle, the Samaritan jumped off the interstate bridge into the river. It was a long drop, and it was cold water. Police showed up and were looking from the bridge, but you typically cannot get anywhere near the channel on the Savannah River from the sides -- its a mile wide swamp.

They got hold of Larry, and he hitched the boat, hopped in the truck and was at the ramp in a couple of minutes. The officer at the ramp just told him to leave the truck on the ramp with the keys in it. He took one paramedic and maybe an officer and away they went. They found the guy downstream around the corner from the bridge in the water clinging to a tree with a broken limb and hypothermia setting in. They pulled him aboard and got him back to the ambulance at the ramp. He turned out just fine.

Larry had a lot of great stories about that boat. Apparently, if the boat is just a little bit too tall to go under a bridge, you can pull the drain plug and let it settle in. The electrics are high enough that a foot of water around your ankles won't hurt anything. Get past the bridge, put the plug back in and the bilge pump will have her floating high in no time.

It looks like you have the gas tank sorted, and I don't know if Larry bought that tank from the same place, but the tank on my boat came from Speedy Tanks.

Larry originally bought a tee top for that boat that was pretty plain. Neither he nor Raymond liked it very much, and he got Raymond to build a new double ring top. They did not want to spend the money on new legs just then, so Raymond cut the old metal top piece off of the original legs and welded on the new double ring. He had plans to replace the legs someday but did not get around to it. If it needs new Sunbrella, Raymond can make up a piece and send it. I doubt he would still have the old pattern, but I am positive that if you took off the old canvas and mailed it to him, he could make up a new canvas kit. Raymond Martin Designs.

One of your posts mentions the tight fit of No Excuses under that pole tarp. Larry made his pole tarp both a little taller (and portable) with feet made of concrete in buckets. I'm not positive, but I think he partially plugged short pieces of pipe slightly larger in diameter than the poles and set those in one or two gallon buckets of quickrete with a ring bolt also in the quickrete. The poles went in the pipes in the concrete buckets, and the poles were tied down to the buckets. He erected the tent where he wanted it then put stakes in the ground and tied the tent to the stakes. You could pick up a couple of inches in clearance with the concrete in those buckets under the pipes.

The cleaning and sanding look great. The gunnels have a nice sweep, and they are wide enough to be useful. You will love that boat.

Tom, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. Your advice on props and such is very helpful.

Good luck.

Wayne

cape man

Post by cape man »

Wayne,

Thanks for the post. We're on a long road trip and I'm exhausted tonight, but I'll respond in a few days. I'm really jazzed to have No Excuse. Larry was a dear friend.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

cape man wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:16 pm They're going for a third coat tomorrow.
Sanding crew did a fine job. She looks refreshed!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:28 pm Wayne,

Thanks for the post. We're on a long road trip and I'm exhausted tonight, but I'll respond in a few days. I'm really jazzed to have No Excuse. Larry was a dear friend.
I would imagine every time you see the boat it brings back memories of your dear friend and some of your adventures with him. The boat is in good hands.

I have a few keep sakes of my brother and every time I see them, I think of my best friend growing up.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne