knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

Post by Knottybuoyz »

https://youtu.be/4jEsgsDT9wc
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Oh, I am sure it works. I did a bad schematic in my pea brain the first time. First in series, then a shorted parallel.

And now I understand the 3 way connections are for each circuit's parallel node, not to add all the grounds.

Do you know if the circuit which will vary in current affects the led? I have forgotten Gaussian method (thank God, it was a nightmare). I think it does not now and the green mimics are okay.

If you have the running load mimics in series; those will vary for sure; maybe even fry if the current exceeds rated. At first, I thought everything was that way is all.

Very cool Rick. I am a little jealous. Mine is quite nice, but deciphering what is on and not is not so nifty. For me, I have to know the way each indicator stays home a:o their lighting status. Very cryptic.

I still am in a quagmire on my refrigerator. I want to leave it on at the marina, but not all my helm station controls. I turn on dc distribution and it is all on or all off. And if all on, all my led helm console lights are on. So annoying!

I guess I need to run the refer on 24/7 circuits and add a lighted switch in the kitchen.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Looks really sweet.

Question: Where did you get your volt-meter and ammeter? Which manufacturer?

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

mhd wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:46 pm Looks really sweet.

Question: Where did you get your volt-meter and ammeter? Which manufacturer?

Mick
https://www.bluesea.com/products/catego ... log_Meters
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

[/quote]
https://www.bluesea.com/products/catego ... log_Meters
[/quote]

Thanks...Good luck with your build!

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

Still tinkering with ideas for the Mimic Panel wiring etc. Learning a bit about all these tiny gadgets that rule our lives. It's mind boggling but I'm still keeping my head above water. It's hard to show restraint when presented with all the possibilities of what this technology can do. I'm simply using some of these common parts in an analog fashion to light up the pretty little LED's on the mimic panel. Most can be triggered and lit directly from the 12 volt source at the switch. Others require a relay to trigger the LED's. Some will need to sense AC current flowing into/out of the piece of equipment. Also had to purchase some tools etc. to make it a bit easier. My soldering experience is limited to copper water pipe and some speak wire. :lol:

My God these parts are tiny. The wires are 24 AWG IIRC. For someone with monkey mitts like me it's a challenge to be sure. :doh:

Waiting on a couple more parts then we'll string it all together and see if it lights up!

Standby....
Yours Aye! Rick

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm surprised you can't buy something, but I never tried.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The AC voltage LEDS could be lit with just a bridge rectifier that converts the AC voltage to DC and drops the voltage at the same time.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:56 pm The AC voltage LEDS could be lit with just a bridge rectifier that converts the AC voltage to DC and drops the voltage at the same time.
I don't know. I'm still working on a solution to that. Pretty steep learning curve and AC electricity and I have a love/hate relationship. :lol:
Yours Aye! Rick

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:40 pm I'm surprised you can't buy something, but I never tried.
Oh ya probably can but where's the fun in that? Seriously this is interesting stuff.
Yours Aye! Rick