FS14- Bayou City Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14- Bayou City Boat

Post by Bogieman »

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS OQ! She looks great in the water too.

Bogie

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Bogieman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:04 am A BIG CONGRATULATIONS OQ! She looks great in the water too.

Bogie
Thank you Boogie!
Hoping to get more pictures this weekend. Our weather has not been helpful and can't trust the forecasts right now. But I will have two assistances so it should be a little easier to check the boat out better and finish the break in.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congrats OQ!!! She looks great!!! Jeff

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Awesome looking boat OQ, question for you? What is the deck done in. Is it some sort of foam padding?
Josh

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks! The flooring is EVA foam. I stumbled on it when looking for LED bulbs on Walmart website. I like the color combination. It is self-adhesive, was easy to cut to size and install. Only time will tell how long it will last. When our weather here warms up I am going to run a bead of white marine sealant around the edges to keep water from getting under it.

It was about the same price as the EVA form I got from a foam company, but I ordered the softest density/cheapest. It was to spongy to cut easy. Razor knife would dull every few inches and start snagging. It was white and dirt showed up on it way to easy. I will order some more to make a pad to cover the rear hatches for sunbathing passengers.

EDIT: This is the flooring from Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ethedeal-Moi ... /931169206
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Today I resume the sea trails of the Ana Marie. The weather will be considerably warmer so I should stay on the lake a lot long and get the first 2 hours of break in completed. Then I can proceed to 4000 rpm trials for another hour.
The last few days have been warming up and sunnier so she has been basking in the sun and I once again tested her abilities to clear a flooded bilge, playing with the pumps.. Which is running the garden hose in the cockpit till a bilge pump kicks in. Since she uses an aux and a main bilge pump, she can clear a flooded bilge quickly. The aux pump is a small 500-GPH pump that is just to clear anything that comes into the boat, it does work nicely but water from the cockpit and front lockers goes through a small, .5 ID hose from the very bottom of the main bilge. If the water level in the main bilge gets to high then the main pump, 900-GPH pump kicks in and a overflow hose of .75 ID will drain more water to the aux bilge so both pumps will work together to clear unwanted water.

The little aux pump was kicking in first, with a smaller stream of water out it's discharge. But as more water came into the main bilge the bigger pump kicks in and its stream is noticeable larger and with more force. The aux will pump till the float switch drops enough to shut it down. The main pump is on a timer and will pump even after the float level should turn it off. Which if the main pump float detects more water the timer resets. These tests were done with the boat, on the trailer, at different angles to see how well water was cleared. PASSED!

Then I tested the livewell pump and to see how well it works. Fill the 5-gallon baitwell up using the pump and sucking water from the livewell. It is an 800-GPH pump and when in the water it fills the wells from seawater, so this method is the same as if the boat was in the water. I am using a 1.25 ID hose for overflow. The bait well never spilled over into the boat, but all water would drain as intended.

The overflow drain for the livewell, is higher than the overflow for the baitwell and the discharge is lower than the baitwell, so all overflow should drain out of the boat. But when tested the livewell, it would drain both into the baitwell, expected, and out the overflow discharge. What I can't figure out is the livewell continued to fill to the point of overflowing into the boat. It's overflow drain is higher than the baitwells so it should drain the best.

Why is this happening?
A. A. Milne

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Post a diagram of water in and out of both the bait well and live well.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Theoretically speaking the drain is not large enough to prevent it from draining into the boat. Like cape man asks, give us some drawings showing the piping and size included. Outlets need to be at least doubled the inlet size for good flow or backup can occur, especially if using pumps. I did some checking and 800gph bait well/live well pumps have a 3/4" outlet, which would mean a minimum 1.5" outlet not 1.25" you are using, and I would go bigger if you have much of a run or any turns.

Toms
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

EDIT: My livewell pump is a 800-GPH pump. I put 900 to start and changed it. Sorry. My main bilge pump is the 900-GPH pump.

My livewell system is based off Flow-rite's V3 system. Back when I was designing my system, it tells you which fitting to buy and size of the fittings. My plumping for supply and return are .75" ID and 100% Flow-rite everything. The first picture is the basic system without the overflow. On another screen they show the fittings and that it only costs $130.00 bucks. :lol: That is not even close when you start to add quick connect male, female connectors, clamps, hoses and tees. They also show what is needed for the overflow system. They use a standpipe, and I used a screened fitting in the top side of my wells. Less things to get broken off in a livewell and slot reds flopping around.

My system uses two wells, a livewell and a baitwell, but only one V3 valve and pump. I used serviceable BANJO brand .75" ID ball valves to control which well gets water and which well the return comes from. By partly opening the valves, I can supply water to both wells at the same time and keep them topped off too. To aerate the water, I used venturi style discharge nozzles that bring fresh air from outside the wells. Which they increase the flow velocity but decrease the flow rate. Both wells use all the same Flow-rite parts. And Flow-rite recommends a 800-GPH pump to get best results from the venturi style discharge nozzles, which I am also using.

Since the livewell (15gallon tank) is in the center of the hull, it sets deeper than the livewell (5gal) but the livewell overflow screen is slightly higher than the overflow screen of the bait well. Water exits the livewell (overflow) goes toward a tee that is connected also to the bait well overflow. Then angles downward to the hull discharge fitting.
Sorry for the very rough drawing.

In theory, if the lower discharge screen of the smaller tank can discharge enough water to keep the smaller tank from overflowing into the boat the larger tank would work the same if not better. The drain hose distance from the bigger tank to the tee is 13". Since my testing, I have changed the angle of the overflow elbow from the baitwell, more downwards slightly. Increasing the downward angle of the hose coming from the livewell overflow hose. But this decreased the angle of the final overflow hose. Which the final hose is less than 4" in length from the tee to the discharge fitting. No bends and not curves, all straight shots. 1-1/8" hose is very hard to bend anyways, this are a pain to put on and take off. But I think this slight adjustment may fix the issue or cause nether not to drain correctly.

During my tests while designing my tanks, I did a few tests on overflow drain sizes and what would work best and based off this type of a chart.

In a tank that was being filled with just the 800-GPH pump, I used a 1" hole to drain water out of the side of the tank and it was enough to stop the tank from filling up. So, my 1-1/8" ID drains should be more than enough to prevent tank overflow. I think my issue is not enough downward angle for the water to travel down the hose effectively from the bigger tank. To small of an overflow drain would mean both tanks would not drain correctly and not just one.

More testing today.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Same results today. The angle change did not stop the large well from overflowing into the boat. This is strange.
A. A. Milne