VG23 New Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 New Build

Post by mhd »

Just started making the "basket mould" to build the boat in. Did the first two stations but ran out of 4x2 so will have to collect some more next time I'm in town. Ply and the rest of the supplies are somewhere en route between Florida and here, but won't be long now. Lots of people finishing their boats recently and a few of us just getting started. Nice to see what others are up to and think about all the different ways there are to arrive at the same end point... Boat in water. Big smile on face.
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

For some strange reason, I got sent a complimentary copy of Professional Boatbuilder magazine. I'm certain I don't qualify as a professional, but regardless, there is a very good article in there about DC systems (grounded v ungrounded, how things can affect AC installations on the same boat, etc.) and some changes to the ABYC code that are under review currently. The article also touches on *why* the recommendations are as they are, and why there are proposed changes.

It is the 2023 Feb/March issue.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Okay, still awating the ply delivery (currenty in Akansas apparently) so it will be next week to make any progress with the actual build. But I had to do *something* so I installed OpenCPN on my (Linux) laptop and connected up a cheap GPS. A few niggles but it is working now and I have my position in New Mexico, sadly a long way from the ocean. No doubt it will work fine though. But that is okay for the laptop in the cabin of the boat, but I don't really want my laptop in the cockpit...

Many other users of OpenCPN out there? Maybe I'll consider mounting a tablet in the cockpit and run OpenCPN on that...?

Mick

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I haven't done any chart plotting, yet. But I aim to.

I wish I knew more.

Where do you intend to sail?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:54 am Where do you intend to sail?
Hello FG,

The plan will be to keep the boat more or less permanently on the west coast (although it could also end up on the east coast depending on what the boss says). We won't be tied to NM once it is finished, so may end up moving out there ourselves. We want to improve our sailing first so up/down the coast to start wtih until we're more confident, and then up to Canada and/or down to Baja and Mexico. But that is just a tentative plan - a lot can happen before that.

I can say that in just two days of playing around with it, I've found OpenCPN to be pretty easy to get up and running and to learn to use. You can get the NOAA charts for free (I've now got the entire collection of raster RNC charts on my laptop) and the interface works nicely. A cheap tablet with OpenCPN running and affixed in the cockpit should be reasonably easy to achieve. You can also hook up an AIS receiver and a lot of other possibilites.

Of course, those are just my first impressions - hard to do a proper test when the boat isn't built and the water is a long way away.

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mick, The YRC tracking system is down this morning but your order should be there very soon!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:29 am Mick, The YRC tracking system is down this morning but your order should be there very soon!!! Jeff
Hi Jeff,

No problem. I've been checking YRC every few days and the order seems to have been in Little Rock "loading" for three days. Last delivery estimate to ABQ was Thursday and then they will hopefully phone to arrange local delivery. I'm away on the 28th for a six-week work trip so I really hope it gets here before then or I'll not be around to help with the delivery.

Cheers,

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mick, I will keeping checking as well!! I hope your relatives in the UK are doing ok!!! Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Ply etc., arrived yesterday evening - thank Reid/Jeff. All very nicely packed.

It was *heavy* though, and once the truck was backed up on the sloping drive it was impossible to move from the back of the truck all the way on to the lift, so we ended up unloading by hand. Not too big a job, but slightly sore shoulders today - 47 sheets of ply plus the epoxy :-)

Today I'll organise things more in the garage and prepare to start butt-joints for the longer sections - the middle two basket mould frames are build and on the far left, ready to go.

Nothing much will happen for a whlie now. I've got one final long trip away for work first - so an enforced break for six weeks, and then back to the build full time.

Mick

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Holy crap 47 sheets! Are you building the Queen Mary :?: