LB26

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: LB26

Post by les2021 »

Morning

Thanks OrangeQuest

I have to say it took allot of head scratching, there is not much space below deck even trying to work in there was a challenge not to trip and break your neck. Really please though but will be glad to glue the sole down.

Dan big apologise I have not been following the forum much over the last month or so did not realise you taken to the water. She looks great, but sorry to hear about the balance problems. One thing I am very sure of though you will overcome this issue and soon be enjoying your fantastic boat for many many hours. Just wish I had the knowledge to give advice but sadly I do not but I am sure the guys have and will continue to help.

Regarding the gluing the sole down, you make a good point I will thicken up some of the bulkheads etc to realise a decent glue bed.

Getting a bit excited now about starting fitting out and planning seating, cabin etc.

The weather here starts to pick up in about 4 weeks so should work perfect for glassing again.

Cheers

Les

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Hey Les, interesting build and am enjoying following along. How has working with the foam been for you? I’ve never seen a build using it. It seemed like you were able to move fast in some ways. What are the advantages of it? I’m guessing it’s possibly more expensive. I see you went with a 4 blade over the 3 that you initially planned. Was there any specific reason? Keep up the good work.
Josh

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Hi Josh

The reason for foam is weight and it is the method recommended by Jacques.

For me foam is fun to work with it is really forgiving, as a carpenter I have worked with wood / ply all my life. These days my back says please build with foam :lol: It is great for shaping and as I am building alone it is easy to lift into place.
Living on Crete is the only problem, the supplier is on the main land and over here things are not cheap, I am using Corecell M80 & M200 it is about 105 euros a sheet for the M80 :( and I have used 50 sheets and my waste pile is very small.... This is not a cheap boat to build :help:
This is my first boat so first time using foam, so the big introduction is the hull all 26 foot of it, I think as all the guys say time and time again is make sure you take your time and get the moulds right. I found planking the hull with v jointed planks and then using pipe casing bags to squeeze the resin in worked really well. I will say, thank god for my bench saw, could not do it without one.

So would I use foam again BIG yes.

With regards the prop it was the recommendation of the Nanni supplier, his prop department said it was the way to go.

I love the build ( most of the time :lol: )

Cheers

Les

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Afternoon Guys

Well today is the day, the sole is going to be glued down. I have checked all joints, clamps, hoses can't do anymore :help:

Have to say it will be a joy walking and working on a flat surface, it has been a big challenge trying to make everything fit and work, I have tried my best..... So a large glass of wine tonight and fingers crossed.

Cheers

Les
5289CF1E-DD1C-4972-9CF5-2390DD8304AD.jpeg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

We look forward to pictures. A milestone for all.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Congratulations a major milestone it will feel good walking on flat decks.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Evening All

Thanks Dan / Tom

I decided I needed to do some building work that looked like I had done allot but really I haven't :D

Cut the cockpit walls and the V berth, made me feel good anyway :lol:

I am still trying to get my head round the air intake to the engine, if my calc's are right I need 60sq inches so 30 each side. The only S/S ones I can find over here are surface fix so screws on the hull which I am trying to avoid. I am thinking of making my own by creating a mould and doing them in glass and inserting them into the hull. Any thoughts ???

Cheers

Les
1F1F0F5F-FACF-4465-84F4-325219C37D1B.jpeg
07F822FE-F008-49E2-B6AE-9B855F73A9A8.jpeg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

When you make a showing you MAKE a showing. That looks really good!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Air intakes...

I'd make them with high density foam; mount them into butyl and screw them in from underneath or inside the hull.

Sure, you could make them solid glass, but the foam is as good as a plug.

If you only have 4 pound foam, just make screw inserts with small pieces of wood. Shhh! I won't tell.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Evening Guys

Bit late I know.... cheers Fuzz / Dan

I have continued trying to tidy up the cabin as it will not be long before it will be like an oven in the cabin, so built the hatches, bow thruster forward, battery locker starboard for windlass and thruster, general locker port, all painted and ready. Just need to fit hinges and catches.

Going to spend one more week inside before I scare the pants of myself by finishing the hull and painting !!! So Dan I know.... we went through all of this over a year ago, BUT the time has come to brave it, so questions to follow. I have researched and watched more youtube than I care to think about.

A question though guys, lining the cabin walls and ceilings, should I insulate ? if so what with and what thickness ?

I will post a sketch soon of my proposed paint scheme, please be honest and say if it is too advanced for me.

Cheers

Les
B3EEF0AB-EE31-42B5-B595-29C41F625137.jpeg
B3EEF0AB-EE31-42B5-B595-29C41F625137.jpeg