FS14 -The Ana Marie

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

FS14 -The Ana Marie

Post by OrangeQuest »

This is my first adventure in the Ana Marie after the first few hours of breaking the motor in. The Ana Marie has a FS14 hull but has a self designed cockpit and helm. The helm has been called a thing before and she attracts attention when she is out in public. With people asking about her from time to time.

Yesterday we took the boat out, two of us for a total of 400 pounds of person weight. Boat was sluggishly different. But with me sitting in the back and partner at the helm, we got the required time at the 3000 rpm and then the required time at 4000 rpms. First run up to 5000 rpms with me in the passenger seat, boat felt a little squirrelly. This went away when I moved to the back again. Then we added 15 gallons of water into the livewell. I was able to return to the passenger seat and the boat handled nicely. So, we began to just explore the lake we were on.

Lake Houston is a fairly large lake at 18.5 square miles, and a 14 foot boat looks very small compared to some of the boats on this lake. Since we just needs to put hours on the motor we went from one end of the lake to the other a few times, crossing our path so we could also reach some of the sides. It was a really nice day and other boats were out on the lake but mostly just bass boats and small Jon boats. Summers this lake has jet skiers, larger pleasure boats pulling the tubes around and so forth. But today we were happy there wasn't much traffic.

After the first 2 or 3 hours of just riding around, my buddy mentioned there was a brewery at the upper end of the lake with a boat dock and everything, so off we went! I was not only thirsty but was getting hungry too. So up the lake we went. We pulled into one of the slips at the marina and tied off. Ana Marie seemed very small compared to all the other boats tied off, but she didn't seem to mind to much. Everyone was sitting out on the patio, so they seen us pull in. Never liked tying off a new boat the first few times with everyone watching your every move. At lease I didn't fall in the water. 8O . After a few cold beers and a nice lunch, untying seemed easier so off we went. We cruised around a little longer and the clouds started coming in so we called it a day as with the clouds the temps also dropped.

My buddy dropped me off at the ramp so I could bring the trailer around. As I was doing so, he started playing out in the lake solo and the boat looked nice running back and forth. There is a no wake zone and he was way past it on a plane. I took pictures but even zoomed in, can't really see the Ana Marie to well. He was taking her up to 5200-5300 rpms and was getting 24-25 mph out of her. I reminded him there was still 15 gallons of water in the back, when he finally pulled up to the trailer. She is very easy to launch and recover.

We both enjoyed that we could easily see around the front of the boat at any speed because of the very short bow deck. When standing it is even better. One of the main things I wanted for the boat was easy to see around the bow, DONE.
I am also happy I put gunnels on the side, spray was coming up the sides starting just aft of center but only collecting on the gunnels and not coming in the boat. With the water temp in the low 50s we didn't want any spray near us. On cold windy days this could become an issue. Think spray rails would be a nice addition to the boat. Maybe in the near future.

The boat needs drink holders for the helm and passenger. I would also like a grab bar for anyone setting at the back and one on the passenger side for standing and rough seas. Already on the list is rod holder (already found one I like) for all rods and a few holders for when lines are out. Also have to come up with a way to get swimmers back in the boat. She has a lot of freeboard even with fat guys in her. Don't see it being to easy to get out of the water without help. I think I have a plan on doing this but need to work out if it will work. Also need a different prop for when she has so much weight in her. WOT rpm was around 5500. Still don't know what it is when I am in her solo.

Overall, she is popular at any dock and a lot of fun just to cruise around in. Will be doing the same next weekend.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14 -The Ana Marie

Post by Jeff »

Very nice OQ!!! Congratulations!! Jeff

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Well deserved victory lap OQ! She'll be turning heads all Summer!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thank you guys! I know I am enjoying testing her out for now. Before long she will be put to work exploring our bayous and channels.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Very nice OQ. I Would wait on the prop until you get the motor broken in fully. Then determine what your normal load is going to be. If it is just, you then going down one inch in pitch would be enough, but if you have two like this time out you will need to go down 2" in pitch. if you like get back to me after completing the break-in and I can be more accurate on what you should do about the prop.

Again the boat looks great! :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lelandtampa »

Congrats must be a great feeling!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thanks TomW and LelandTampa!

It is a great feeling to just be in the boat.
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It's out of the warehouse and onto the water!

I can almost hear you smile from here, looks great!
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Thank you Pee Wee, she is a lot of fun just getting the hours on the motor.

Monday started with the lake being a little choppy. With some areas having the waves stacking and spray off the bow was getting blown across this old man and the temps are still a little to cool for me to stay out in it to long. Today, winds died down and so the lake was a lot tamer. A number of bass boats were ripping across the lake. All of them bigger and faster than the Ana Marie but she still got a few second glances.

I was in her solo the last few outings and she feels very nimble even though she was not built light at all. I can just imagine what a built light FS14 could do. After a long run across the lake, I shut the motor down and while talking to a few customers on the phone, I filled both the livewell and the baitwell to overflowing capacity. Before the 20+ gallons were added, she loved to cruise at 19 to 20 mph in the 4800/4900 rpm range. She was a little sluggish on takeoff and little longer to reach that 19-20 mph, but a slight motor trim adjustment, she could still cruise at that speed with just increasing to 4900/5000rpms.

I still have 1.5 hours of the break in period but have been pushing her more and more. Top speed today with just me and 3 gallons of fuel remaining was 24.8 mph and rpms reached 5500 at WOT. It came with a 11.25X16 aluminum prop.

EDIT: Misread the prop. It is a 10.25X11

She will be back on the lake again tomorrow to finally finish breaking the motor in.
Last edited by OrangeQuest on Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The little Ana Marie is really a looker at the boat ramp. Was even asked if I would be willing to sell her. 8) A lot of older boats came out today and the 2cycles were smoking badly or not wanting to run at all. Boat ramp had a little oil slick today. Guess I need to add a little spray bottle of Dawn in my tool locker.

She really is performing better than I expected, I am starting to feel more comfortable pushing her a little more in the chop that we have been experiencing on the lake. I also found out that when I am solo, but it is choppy, to add the 20 gallons of ballast and then being a little heavier we do not pound as bad on the bigger waves. Going with the wind we could maintain 20 mph but under 5000rpms. Going against the wind, she needed to slow to 14 or 15 mph but 4300/4500 rpms, with a considerably more amount of spray. She did reach enough hours today to be broke in and the next 10 hours will be to get her to her first oil change. We are getting ready to make a trip to the coast soon!!
A. A. Milne