Viking 50 and a chanel marker

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Viking 50 and a chanel marker

Post by Jaysen »

Got a call on the 13th while visiting the boss lady at the local hospital...

"Hey man, remember that trip I was on with my employer bringing his Viking 50 up from key west?"
"Yeah. you sound tired. Everything ok?"
"You think you can run out to talk to him? He needs to talk to you. There was an ... accident."
"What do you mean 'accident'?"
"Well... channel markers don't budge even when you are doing 25kn."

Per my website, no job is to small, many are too big. This one is right on the border. My website also says I don't judge, but I reserve the right to laugh. Based on what I know, I ain't laughing. These guys got lucky no one got hurt and the damage was limited. Scope of my work:
1. Fix and glass/gel
2. Rub rail

Took 8hr to get basic demo and surface prep completed.

Single hardest part was cutting the bow rail. couldn't take it off (owner request) so created more work by cutting a nice gouge with the SOB tool (hence my name for it).

What boat project is complete without someone bleeding all over the place? At least I got it out of the way before paint.

The next 8hr is reinforced glass filler/fairing and paint. Then I plan 8hr to install new rails.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Viking 50 and a chanel marker

Post by Jeff »

Big job Jaysen!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

How many feet is that Jaysen? Big jog no matter how many though! Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

38’ of rail being replaced. Oddly fewer clamps will be used then were needed for the 12’ on a V12!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I had to have help to mount rubrail.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Dang Dude you sure get yourself into some good ones. That is a tough job to do right and look right. More power to you.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I got into this one via crew from the Full Hookups boat. I did some work for one of them (reel repair) and that guy was on the boat when the "event" occurred. Mike called me as soon as they were in town. He had seen my gel work on Full Hookups and was all "this guy can get it done and is pretty straightforward about what he won't do" with the owner. Apparently, I'm now the owner's "guy" and I have to keep telling him I don't have a full boatyard with haulout crane. So here I am, working on another $500k boat wondering what the heck I've gotten myself into...

If you all want to look her up, the boat is Island Dancer. Most recently out of Key west. She's easy to locate via google.

After a day off due to "too cold to work" (under 60), we had a nice day that started at 62 and was supposed to be 74 at 1p. The goal was to get the gouges filled and enough paint on to enable a fishing run next week. Because this is a 2" hull and that gouge was only 1/16" the norm is glass-impregnated Bondo. That's the green putty. Got that in then did a number of layers of prescribed Bondo for fairing. All hand sanded to reduce rework and excess paint fubar-age. Note to other bad shoulder/heart attack folks... hand sanding is good replacement for PT. just remember the pain killers.

Taped and waiting for initial sanding.

The "dumb a$$" gouge filled and the "test patch" for interlux color match. Owner couldn't find it so paint color was approved.

Final glass-impregnated layer sanding.

Rounds X and Y (I think it is 1 and 5) of fairing. This was my first time using premixed compound. I don't like it. I may never use it again. I like the control of being able to make it looser or stiffer based on what I'm filling. Either way, I eventually figured it out.

I had planned to spray the paint and get it all done. Thing is... 22knt winds make that a "hahahaha no". Biggest brush I had was a 1/2" spot brush because why would you bring brushes and rollers when you packed ALL THE DANG SPRAYING HARDWARE!!!!????!!!! I consider this a violation of basic boat finish, but I put it here to show that there are "acceptable to use" levels of finish as long as everyone knows that it is complete fecal mater. I will be ripping this off and spraying it properly in a couple weeks when we have better conditions.

That was Friday. Today is a weather day (cold front). Tomorrow I have a hired hand who I have worked with in the past on schedule to help me get the rails mounted. He's like me in the context of "God gave us hands and brains, we have to figure out how to lose the fingers creatively!" Also a blow boat guy. That puts me at "done" until we get a solid 3 day window with good temps and no fishing to get that interlux sprayed. Current outlook is mid April or May. Owner is OK with that so I guess I am too.

More pics tomorrow or Monday. Assuming I survive.

cape man

Post by cape man »

But was it really a Chanel marker and not a Christian Dior?

Yes, I'm an ass sometimes 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

If you met his wife ….

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... Fallguy had me thinking. And I know that when I think it means I'm generally wrong. So I asked my wife and she asked her friend to loan me her husband for the day. Which means I hired some help to do some rub rail installation yesterday. Good thing I did! That stuff ain't no joke.

I think I can sum the day up with the owner's comment... "Sh!t!!! Now I need to hit something with the other side of the boat to make it look good too!" I thought he was joking but he started asking about project after project and when we could get back out. I still need to finish the paint but this is a tournament week. Got her done just in time.

Here she is with just the bow rail installed. This was what I thought would be the hard part. That was naive. You'll notice a couple "double holes". These things have lots of cap screws. I hit way fewer than the factory did.

And here's a fun story. When you need 1 screw every 6" it's 41 for a 20' section of rail... 50 screws won't do 34'. Especially if you drop a few in the drink. Care to guess how many I was short? We have exactly 1/32" gap in each butt join on the 316SS cap. Factory was 1/32 - 1/4". I managed to keep it 100% flat with a little creative "grinder heating". Rest of the boat ranges 1/4 - 3/8 with about 1/4 protrusion on the areas "Jaysen didn't touch". I sealed the butt joints on top of the PVC cap with white silicone to improve look but left the bottom open to ensure drainage. Buhtal tape over cap seam and added a tad extra post drilling for mounting bolts.

Owner is happy. He's added some more paint touch up for when I return. Looks like I'll get a bit more work from him throughout the year.