Looping of fuel tank vent line

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Looping of fuel tank vent line

Post by BrianC »

What is best practice for routing / looping the vent line running from the fuel tank to the vent fitting? Also, is the guidance on the height of the vent relative to the fill? I'm using a vent like this one (with a 90° tube): http://old.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... mount-vent
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Looping of fuel tank vent line

Post by fallguy1000 »

BrianC wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:31 pm What is best practice for routing / looping the vent line running from the fuel tank to the vent fitting? Also, is the guidance on the height of the vent relative to the fill? I'm using a vent like this one (with a 90° tube): http://old.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... mount-vent
No low spots in a vent line; try to route uphill all the way, then just before the vent, which must be outboard, then a swan neck is best so any water splash cannot enter. And so the only downward direction is at the exit.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Looping of fuel tank vent line

Post by TomW1 »

There must be a loop in the vent line to prevent water getting to the fuel tank. Take the line up form a loop and back down then up to the vent.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978