Counter Rotating Dual 60 HP engines?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Counter Rotating Dual 60 HP engines?

Post by BB Sig »

Long story, sort of short... I am going through a divorce. Both of us are somewhat happy about it as we realize that we shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. We still can have lunch together are recently went to Legoland together. I've had brain surgery recently that has helped with my Parkinson's symptoms. I feel like I'm ready to start back to building. I'm looking at building a 60x72x18 barndominium for my future residence. I found 6 acres that boarders a state park preserve that would give me privacy and lots of room.

I am contemplating reviving my GT 23 build and considering using it for hurricane/flooding rescue and assistance in addition to using it for wounded veterans' inshore fishing trips.

The dual 60's would make it more maneuverable and add a safety factor since, in hurricane rescue/resupply, there is a lot of debris in the water. Not sure if they exist or is necessary to be counter-rotating at that HP. Looking for TomW's assistance....

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Counter Rotating Dual 60 HP engines?

Post by fallguy1000 »

You don't need counter-rotation in outboards.

What is nice is a control that will synch rpms. This cuts out the nasty vibrations a boat will experience when rpms vary. So, I would be more focused on getting engine controls that allow synching.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

BB Sig wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:32 am Long story, sort of short... I am going through a divorce. Both of us are somewhat happy about it as we realize that we shouldn't have gotten married in the first place. We still can have lunch together are recently went to Legoland u. I've had brain surgery recently that has helped with my Parkinson's symptoms. I feel like I'm ready to start back to building. I'm looking at building a 60x72x18 barndominium for my future residence. I found 6 acres that boarders a state park preserve that would give me privacy and lots of room.

I am contemplating reviving my GT 23 build and considering using it for hurricane/flooding rescue and assistance in addition to using it for wounded veterans' inshore fishing trips.

The dual 60's would make it more maneuverable and add a safety factor since, in hurricane rescue/resupply, there is a lot of debris in the water. Not sure if they exist or is necessary to be counter-rotating at that HP. Looking for TomW's assistance....
Hi Barry I have never seen counter rotating 60HP motors, Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury, Tohatsu and Honda. Honestly you might be better off money wise going with a single 115. No buying extra controls, gauges, cables, fuel hoses, etc. that you need for dual motors.

Tpm
Last edited by TomW1 on Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

If you want an emergency vehicle to have redunant power; then a kicker like a 10hp - 25hp is the way to go. The tiny ones are unreliable due to small carbs.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Talked to my local guy... counter rotation is just a lower and a prop change. He didn't want to talk 60hp. I think that means no. He said the same as FG... go with a 115 and a couple 25s if you need to have spares. He's a merc dealer. Let me know if you have specific things you are looking for and I'll see if he can work a deal for you.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.