MG20 questions to designer

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: MG20 questions to designer

Post by Fuzz »

I have a 22 foot SeaSport with a bracket and a 200hp Suzuki. It a 1986 model. The hull runs pretty well anything between 18 and 32 mph. Below 18 it is a struggle to stay on step. Much above 32 it will chine walk and things can get real sporty with no warning. When first built most came with 120-150 hp inboards. They needed a pad to be able to get on step and stay on step. With all the new 4-stroke power coming out some time around 2000 SeaSport got rid of the pad and now their hulls run much better at higher speeds.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you go to the study plans and go down to the bottom FMiles has some photos of his build. One is of the bottom with his strakes and reverse chines attached. There doesn't seem to be a keel strip attached to the hull.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

I was asking about pad because most of bass boats got them, but what is interesting some of those pads are not flat. They are build a little bit like two wide strikes attached to keel. For example Gambler and Allison, got them build like that. Other thing is that they have long transom step and then jack plate.
Attachments
-59252-640x400-0.jpg
-59252-640x400-0.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Building a pad and getting it to work right would be a tricky thing. I know my factory boat will get up on the pad and any little thing will make it fall the dig a chine in and things get sporty fast. Good thing about building your own boat is you get to make the choices and live with them.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:16 pmGood thing about building your own boat is you get to make the choices and live with them.
Truer words have not been said. If you alter the design, the outcome is not a function of the naval architect's product. Keep that in mind. It is also worth noting that if you want a design from a heavily engineered and testing production hull, it's probably better to just buy that hull, then modify the layout to spec. I'm not sure modifying the MG20 to make have significant features of a production bass boat is a path for success.

I could be wrong. Mrs reminds that I am ... often.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That is a pretty sophisticated looking pad it looks like a tunnel more than a pad with the curves down to the sides of it. What are the metal things at the front of it, water nozzles, air inductors?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

i agree that it is impossible to build sport bass boat on my own. This pad topic is more like curio. Those nozzles are for livewell, they got two separate systems for right and left section.
Question to BarraMan, whats the draft of 110% MG with 250 Yama ?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Matkuz wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:23 am Question to BarraMan, whats the draft of 110% MG with 250 Yama ?
I estimate its draft on the plane is about 18". I regularly run quite happily in 36", start to pay attention in 26", start to slow down in 24" and drop off the plane in 20". At rest can draw 18 - 24" depending on where the jack plate is positioned.

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

it has been a while and i have another question. I was thinking about MG stability. Barraman's one has 18 inch draft so theres a long reverse chine line under water, so its rock stedy. Oryginal MG has draft of 311 mm at DWL, this means that there will be a half less reverse chine under water then at Barramans one. It can be seen on this two pics. Practicly 3/4 of boat lengh under water vs 1/3. I am starting to warry that oryginal MG wont be so stable fishing platform. is there anything i can change to add more stability ?
Attachments
Mangusta_-_Off_Isle_of_Wight.jpg
IMG_0533_0.jpeg

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

The Mangusta 20, as designed, does not have reverse chines - the addition of a modest reverse chine to my hull was totally my idea and considered unnecessary by JM, the designer.

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe the reverse chines on my hull contribute much to its stability. I think it’s more the fact it has a low centre of gravity due the positioning of the fuel tanks and batteries as low as possible along the centreline.