CV16 Question

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

CV16 Question

Post by pee wee »

I was looking at sailboat plans under 20', and noticed that according to the study plans the CV16 is actually 14'-4" (or if you do the metric conversion it's 14'-5.2". I know boat design descriptors are often rounded up to the next whole foot, but then it would be the CV15, not the CV16. Is this boat misnamed?

On re-reading the study plans I notice that the name CV16 never appears, it's referred to as the Caravelle.
Hank

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CV16 Question

Post by Reid »

The rudder for the CV16 is 14.5" wide. This may be where the extra length comes from.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Oddly, sailboats tend to be “total length minus bowsprit and davits” while motorboats are transom to end of bowsprit”. Go to a marina and the charge you “total length” which is the length of every appendage you have (bowsprit, swim platform, motors, davits, etc) plus safety space as devices by the marina.

So yeah, hull length isn’t really the same thing as boat length.

And don’t get me started on insurance companies…
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That makes sense, as much as anything. In the (very) old days they used waterline length rather than overall, probably a better descriptor for size, but not so much for marketing.
Hank

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

The original Caravelle that inspired the CV16 was a 15+ foot boat... Wild ass guess, but maybe Jacques was originally aiming for a 16 foot boat, found that the most efficient use of materials resulted in a 14'4" boat, and then for some reason never bothered to change the name when he published the final version?